When I try to start Cubase 8.40 it will crash immediately with macOS Sierra.
And you’re surprised by this?
Works great in El Cap. After last year’s wait for third party companies to become compliant (Elektron’s Overbridge wasn’t ready until February), I’m holding off until it’s supported!
Thanks for the hard work Steinberg, keep us updated.
Cubase is the number one reason I don’t update on release day.
Only thing I wish is that Steinberg would not wait potentially months before any compatibility updates get released.
Normally it’s the paid update to the next version then previous versions follow later…
Hi. Fortunately I have some more mac.
There are several reasons to not update a new OS on day one - in this specific case, even Audio Units are affected: https://ask.audio/articles/musicians-producers-do-not-upgrade-to-mac-os-sierra-1012-yet
Most often, qualification requires time and tests on the final (‘release’) OS version - it happened to a few developers to certify compatibility for an upcoming OS release and then the very last OS update caused issues. With this in mind, it would be irresponsible to recommend a newly released OS.
Hope this makes sense to you. I will always recommend to update a working system only after testing that every needed software and hardware components work fine… ideally on a separate partition or a machine which is not mission-critical.
No problems here with update from El Capitan
Cubase 8.5 Pro
Wavelab Elements 9
Macbook Pro 13" mid 2012 750 gb/ 8 gb RAM
I’ll try with a clean OS installation now.
No troubles here - Macbook Pro 8,1 Early 2011…
Been working with Sierra right through the Beta tests , Apple had feedback right through the few bugs encountered - of course you never know if that was read.
Absolutely agree though that holding back in the sensible way to go until everything is properly tested.
After clean install, everything is working fine.
Cubase 8.5 Pro
Wavelab Elements 9
Forgot to mention that Start Centers don’t work.
Just installed from pkg, even Yamaha Open Deck Plugin.
Been recording drums yesterday. Everything is ok in my system.
Seems to be working ok so far. Cubase Pro 8.5, iMac 2012, Scarlett interface.
Works surprisingly well. I have thrown at it everything I could think of for the past two days and all seems to be good.
I updated to Sierra. No issue with Cubase 8.5. UR44 not working so well. I usually turn the power off on the UR44 when it’s not in use. Turning the power off under Sierra, whether or not Cubase is running, causes the computer to restart. No warning or anything. I went back to El Capitan and the problem is gone. It’s probably a UR44 driver incompatibility issue.
Same problem here with UR44, macOS Sierra and iMac 11,3 Mid. 2010.
I’m UR 44 whithout issues. I’m using latest USB driver, not the oine included in UR tools.
Thank you! Issue seems solved after instal Yamaha USB driver v1.9.10.
CRASHED now im bummbed
Process: Cubase LE AI Elements 8 
Path: /Applications/Cubase LE AI Elements 8.app/Contents/MacOS/Cubase LE AI Elements 8
Version: 184.108.40.2063 (220.127.116.113)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? 
Responsible: Cubase LE AI Elements 8 
User ID: 501
Date/Time: 2016-10-07 18:37:16.866 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12 (16A323)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: BDC226FB-DA14-9E29-C406-7CFF58B2B2B6
Sleep/Wake UUID: FEBA90B8-5348-431D-AC74-B3AF82231F54
Time Awake Since Boot: 120000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 120000 seconds
System Integrity Protection: enabled
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000011b72fcf8
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler 
I have the very same problem using my UR22mkII. Also I cannot turn off my G5 MacPro until I disconnect it from the USB line.
are there ant workarounds that dont involve OS change?
I downloaded the latest Yamaha USB drivers from the Steinberg site and the problem is solved.
I should have waited for the all clear from Steinberg before updating from El Capitan.