Macro or shortcut for midi event transpose from info line?

Hi,

I have struggle to find how to set shortcut to transpose midi event from info line. Here is picture:

I want to transpose only green midi event by 12 semitones (and all other blue to be untouched) via shortcut or macro. Is that possible?

I found the shortcut that transpose inside key editor and since its all shared copies it will transpose all 4 events instead of only green one, so that unfortunately doesn’t work :frowning:

Any input or workarounds are welcome

Thanks

Before transposing, change the part you want to transpose to non-shared?

greggybud
Good thinking but that doesent float my boat cause my workflow relays a lot on shared copies :frowning:
here is problem in practice:

I have full arrangmenet of the song (usually 5-7min long) I tend to keep all in shared copies so in case i have to change some keys (sometimes i have 30 revisions) i dont have to do manually for every part or to duplicate it across arrangement again.

So for example when i get feedback from client to layer that piano with some other sound, often i have to experiment with octaves on that new layer -especially if you surfing through the presets. If I have to take apart shared copy of the same melody after that can double my time for making further revisions.

If I understood you correctly, this is a logic issue. The only way you can get the result you want is to use a non-shared copy.

You could maybe copy the green zone as a non-shared copy and use that for the edit and playback instead of the original… or some similar procedure.

How about a macro which copies the event, transposes it and mutes the original?

Edit - Copy
Edit - Mute/Unmute Objects
Edit - Paste at Origin
MIDI - Transpose

Thanks for jumping in. Yes correct, Logic and simple solution will be via project logical editor something like: Transpose Selected via Info-Line value:12 (or whatever) but unfortunately there is no way for doing that I suppose (or I didn’t find a way for that)

Edit - Copy
Edit - Mute/Unmute Objects
Edit - Paste at Origin
MIDI - Transpose

yeah that’s the same like I would un-share copy as I explained that wont work with my workflow for practical reasons as I explained.

The one thing that comes to my mind (avoiding to screw shared copies) is to assign shortcut on transpose in the inspector’s MIDI Modifiers of that new layer. Is there way to do that somehow?

No that’s not what I meant. I meant the whole issue is about the logic of what you want to do. You simply cannot edit a shared event without it also editing the other shared events. NOT POSSSIBLE. So you have to work around it.

I’m not sure what you mean. Did you try the macro?

This macro doesn’t “un-share” the original, it makes an unshared copy ON TOP of the original shared event, which is muted and sent to the back. You may then edit/transpose this unshared copy as much as you like and it won’t effect the other shared events. If you later need to go back to the original you simply bring the original to the front and the unshared version goes to the back and is automatically muted.

Another solution would be to use Track Versions (see Manual for details).

Yes I am perfectly aware of that. I apologize but I think you misunderstand my first post or you didn’t saw attached image, so let me try explaining this way: I don’t want to edit notes inside Key editor, which MIDI - Transpose will do in the end and will affect on all shared events, that’s why I want to transpose it via INFO LINE (Ctrl+i) cause that way only selected Midi event will be affected and it wont be applied on other shared events, and I am searching the way to assign shortcut for that. I often use transpose and velocity from info line tab. Hope I makes it clear.

[quote=“Grada”]
yeah that’s the same like I would un-share copy as I explained that wont work with my workflow for practical reasons as I explained.
[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean. Did you try the macro?

Yes I did, and it doesn’t work for my workflow and I will give another similar practical example. Lets say you have vocal chorus part and the same appears 4 times In arrangement, and client asks you to rise volume / pitch / restoration (or any other process) of some particular word. You would previously put that chorus vocals in events and make shared copies and when you edit one it applies on all 3 remaining, so you avoid further errors and duplicating it all over . The same I do for Midi, client asks me to add new layer of that midi, I add new instrument and put same shared midi copy and when I need to set right octave I use transpose from info line without affecting other shared copies, in case after some time client asks me to remove some note from that midi I can do that from one midi event (since all are shared copies) and it will be applied on all copies through arrangement including new layer that I previously add. When you have so many layer channels with automations and other stuff, shared copies can save your day when you make new revisions for client. So I tend to work with SH copies from the start and I miss that shortcut transpose from info line often :frowning:

There’s no key command for that. I’ve been suggesting workarounds.