Magneto II and Tape Saturation Channel Strip--What is Dual Mode?

Please help me understand the “Dual Mode” for Magneto II insert effect, and the Tape Saturation effect in Channel Strip. The manual only says it simulates the use of two machines. What exactly does that mean? How does Dual Mode affect the sound or function of the these two saturation effects? I contacted someone online at Steinberg USA support, and he had no idea–just guessed that it may have to do with stereo applications. But the Dual Mode is available even in mono instances of Magneto II.

Interestingly, the channel strip version of Magneto II does not have the Dual Mode switch, which is included in the insert version of that effect. But the Tape Saturation effect in Channel Strip does have a Dual Mode button.

I recently upgraded to Cubase 11 Pro from Elements, and have started to use the Tape Saturation in channel strip. I never liked it in earlier versions, so simply used other saturation plugins. I am not sure what changed, my ears or the plugin (maybe it was improved?), but I now use the Channel Strip Tape Saturation a lot. It gives a really understated, realistic nice warmth on many audio tracks. I know Magneto II gets much more attention, but I have not bonded with it as much. It seems to do a better job at heavier levels of saturation.

On the master output bus, I prefer another tape simulator plugin, J-37 from Waves.

Please share your opinions on personal use cases for Magneto II vs Tape Saturation. And clue me into the Dual Mode. Many thanks.

Hi @Slide_Guitarist

Dual Mode has nothing to do with mono or stereo. It means you have two ‘Tape Machines’ cascaded. The tape saturation effect can get much stronger this way.

Regards,
Andreas

1 Like

Andreas, thank you so much for your fast and helpful response. It make more sense that dual mode is a cascaded effect. Dual mode is similar to the many “hotrod” mods done to hardware tube guitar amps, where they cascade tube pre-amp stages to get more saturation and compression. I imagine Dual Mode would work great on some drum group tracks, or as a way to fatten DI bass.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation. I recently found this as well and didn’t understand exactly what it meant.

1 Like