Maintenance Update VST Live 1.0.20 now available

We had that bug, but it should have been fixed with 1.0.20. Cannot reproduce it no matter how.
Could you PM me a project (just the vlprj file, nothing else) where that can be reproduced?

1 Like

Sent, thanks

Hi

I installed the latest maintenance update VST Live 1.0.20 on my Apple M1 Mac Mini and it says ā€œIntelā€ in the activity monitor. Has it really been updated to support Apple Silicon? I mean not running in Rosetta 2 mode.

Thanks

[

]

Hi @Jupiter16,

select the ā€œVST Liveā€ App in your Applications folder. Click Command+I to open the info Dialog. Or right-click to the app and select ā€œGet infoā€. The entry ā€œOpen using Rosettaā€ is ticked and currently the default one. Untick that setting, close the dialog and restart the VST Live. Now it should open as a ARM64 application.

See you,
Michael.

Hi Michael,

For some reasons it was already unchecked. I checked it, restarted VST Live and verify in the Activity Monitor. It was in Intel Rosetta mode as expected with the box checked. I closed the program, and Unchecked the Open using Rosetta boc but this time I clicked on the lock on the bottom right-hand side. I typed in my admin password, closed the information form, restarted VST Live, and verify the Activity Monitor again.

Now it says ā€œAppleā€ and it is running natively in Apple Silicon mode.

Thanks a lot for your prompt help.

Keep developing this very promising software. Iā€™m sure Steinberg the creator of Cubase will make it awesome.

I found a couple of annoyances, and a request:-

1.0.20.582 installed on an Intel MacBook Air.

1. When opening a project from the startup hub the screen just disappears while the project is loading, almost as if the app has crashed although it hasnā€™t). Can you add a ā€œloadingā€ message?

2. In Halion Sonic & Groove Agent SE: The ā€œLoad Programā€ and ā€œLoad Kitā€ windows (accessed via the down arrow next to the program name) appear behind the main window and canā€™t be brought to the foreground. In GA, however, the ā€œLoad Panelā€ (from the RH folder icon) works fine.

3. Audio Setup: Can you add the ability to select Bluetooth devices as Audio Output? While probably not good for live use it would allow me to use my buds when setting up sounds and testing without disturbing others.

Thanks, Clive

Hi @CliveJ

1. Weā€™ll check
  2. Hm, I see. Weā€™ll check, too. Meanwhile you can disable ā€œPlug-In Editor Always On Topā€ in the Preferences dialog. See Tab ā€œSTUDIOā€.
  3. This should work. But you need to restart VL when the Bluetooth device was attached to the system and VL is already running.

See you,
Michael.

Hi Michael!

1. Thanks
  2. Ah - Preferences, Studio: That works!
  3. Why didnā€™t I think of that! It would be handy if VL could scan devices rather than having to restart it. Interestingly it copes well when the bluetooth disconnects by reverting to the speakers without my intervention.

Thanks, Clive

I run Windows 10 and agree with point 1.
3- yes, a ā€œscan devicesā€ option would be handy.

1 Like

Weā€™re considering a ā€œRescan Devicesā€ function. Thatā€™s better than having the app scan in the background all of the time, which may be disruptive during a live show.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t need to scan in the background - just when I open the window in order to reassign the output.

2022-07-20T07:00:00Z

First time using VST Live. On Mac Studio, MacOS 12.4, VST Live 1.0.20.582.

I noticed in the status bar (after specifying VST 2.x folder) that a number of my vsts failed verification (same ones load fine in Komplete Kontrol, Vienna Ensemble, ā€¦) . I went to Devices->Plug-In Information to track what was going on:

Problem 1 - There seems to be no way to see what failed during the scan, nor to rescan individually or batch.

Problem 2 - the info dialog seems incomplete:

Nothing is printed in the list. If you select a (blank) list item, you see only the file path.

Hope this helps,
Kevin L

2022-07-20T07:00:00Z
On Mac Studio, MacOS 12.4, VST Live 1.0.20.582. Using ASIO on Antelope Galaxy interface - 44.1k - 64/128 buffer settings

I am finding it nearly impossible to play plugins live on VST Live with very simple setups. I am observing many hung notes, and missed notes. I am using a NI Komplete Kontrol 88 controller (USB port), and it is sending out Key On/Offs / Velocity, AT - nothing out of the norm.
[By the way, on the MIDI controls for a Layer, it would be good to have filtering options (eg filter out AT or other MIDI controls/messages]
The VST Live CPU meter does not show more than 20% activity, and I donā€™t see any unusual process activity from Appleā€™s activity monitor.

I tried verifying activity in the Devices-> Midi-Monitor dialog. When I notice notes that I have played that do not trigger a sound from a given vst, the MM Dialog also does not show corresponding notes.

This is a project with a single song, single part, one plug-in. This is also VST Live executing on Apple Silicon (not in Rosetta Mode) and the plugins are all Apple Silicon (verified versions from inside VST Live).

Plugins Iā€™ve tried:
Modartt Pianoteq Pro 7 (usually locks/misses notes within about 15 seconds of non-aggressive playing)
Spectrasonics Keyscape
Gforce SEM (a mono plugin!!!).
IK Hammond B3-X
TAL-J8

In many cases - the hung notes can not be cleared by the Panic button, only by starting/stopping the transport.

I really like the concept/functionality of VST Live but this is really difficult to use under the most minimal of situations. Iā€™m hoping this is only a configuration issue.

Menu Layer/Layer Controller Map to the rescue; set to ā€œBlockedā€ to surpress.

Then those do not even arrive at VST Live. Could you check your MIDI routing if there is other software or background processing that might ā€œstealā€ MIDI events? Same is true for hangign notes, presumably there are Note-On commands in the MIDI Monitor not beeing matched by Note-Off, correct?

Logically, this has nothing to do with receiveing plugins but MIDI bytes missing from beeing received by VST Live.

Thatā€™s weird, both panic and transport stop send MIDI ā€œAll Notes Offā€ commands which should silence any MIDI receiver whatsoever.

Probably, because if that were regular behaviour, weā€™d be bombed with complaints. One more user did report similar problems, though, also with OSX, so weā€™d like to figure this out. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for pointer. 2 comments about this:

1.) This filter is buried in the menus. Simple access on the layer itself would be more intuitive (e.g. like a filter icon that brings up this dialog).
2.) While this filter blocks standard MIDI controller messages, it doesnā€™t handle Aftertouch. AT is probably the most likely thing to filter from Midi streams.

Thanks @musicullum ,
Kevin L

Problem is that there are more functions that want access in the panel and it gets crowded. But maybe a context menu entry would do.

Good point, will add that, plus remaining MIDI stati (program change etc).

Hi again,

So I have tried to narrow this down. I restarted my Mac with no other apps going. I checked on and closed other services launched at startup. VST Live was the only user-app running.

This reduced the amount of hung/missing notes, but not completely. It was still happening enough on my simple single instrument experiment to be frequently noticeable.

I did confirm with the midi monitor that hung notes that were logged had no corresponding note-offs.

I can confirm that this same system (same computer, USB chains, OS, plugins) runs other VST hosts (Komplete Kontrol, Vienna Ensemble Pro) with the same plugins, and does not experience missing/hung notes.

One difference is that those hosts are not on Apple Silicon yet (and are running under Rosetta).

2022-07-21T07:00:00Z - a little later
I tried some other things -

• Tried running in Rosetta. More or less same behaviors (hangs/missed notes), but worse performance.
  • Tried simplifying USB chain (controller directly to computer, no USB hub). Still hangs/missus.

Let me know if you wish to try something else.
Regards,
Kevin L

Hi Again,

One other weird thing. Every time I launch VST Live, I get a single dialog that looks like this:

I canā€™t find a corresponding preference or configuration change to stop this message. This dialog mostly comes up before the ā€˜Choose Projectā€™ dialog, but sometimes after.

Thanks,
Kevin L

Hi again,

When you get a chance, can you check compatibility with VSTs from UVI (UVI Workstation, Falcon). For me, both of these vsts launch but neither triggers nor makes sound (even when triggering their own virtual keyboards).

Thanks,
Kevin L

ā€¦ the VST3 version of UVI workstations works. Open the right panel of VL, select the ā€œPLUG-INSā€ tab (upper area) and select the ā€œINSTRUMENTSā€ tile. Find the ā€œUVI/UVIWorkstationā€ entry, the VST3 one. Drag the entry to your Layer destination. Open the editor of the UVIworkstation, load a preset and here we go. No? Weā€™ll have a look to the VST2 variant. Sorry for that one.

See you,
Michael.