Major bug (4.0.31): Undo and redo act on wrong objects

I’m using Dorico Pro 4.0.31 on macOS 12.3.1 and several times have run into a serious bug. When inputting notes on one staff and pressing cmd-Z to undo the last input, Dorico instead deletes notes in the other staff, in a different bar altogether. In this score, I last worked on the other staff probably hundreds of steps ago, so it definitely wasn’t the most recent item in the undo buffer.

Steps to reproduce:

• Enter note(s).
  • Press cmd-Z (no user interaction such as clicking anywhere in between steps).
  • Dorico then sometimes deletes entirely different notes in the wrong staff.

This has now happened several times. It’s also the first time it’s occurred, and so far it’s only been happening with one score which I’ve had open the whole time. I’ll try quitting and relaunching Dorico but just wanted to report this in case it’s helpful.

As luck would have it, I’m sitting in front of my MacBook 12.3.1 with Dorico Pro 4.0.31, so have just tried your steps. It all worked as it should, but I’ll keep an eye on it just in case it behaves as you’ve described.

Yeah, this may have just been a “one-off.” It’s the first time it’s happened in my experience. It just looks like the undo/redo buffer got confused at some point and was only reset after quitting and relaunching Dorico.

If it happens again I’ll see if I can figure out any more precise steps to reproduce it.

We have seen occasional reports of this bug, but as yet it has been impossible to track down. What appears to be happening based on the description of the problem is that when the menus are updated (to enable or disable things based on the state or selection, or when you change mode), under some extremely rare circumstances, somehow some commands are getting mapped to the wrong menu, which means that a particular command – whether triggered via the menu or a keyboard shortcut – will do something other than what it is meant to. We have a suspicion that this could also be related to the also-non-reproducible crash that some users experience when switching mode in Dorico. Unfortunately to date we have no hard lead on how to reproduce either problem, which makes fixing them impossible for the time being.

Thanks so much, Daniel. I’ll keep my eye out for any steps to trigger this bug in case it occurs again.

Good to know that this isn’t one of those “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature” things! :slight_smile:

I have noticed strange behavior as well, including just the other day; pressing undo in certain circumstances in engrave mode will not actually undo everything and will skip certain steps. I was on a limited time constraint yesterday so I couldn’t thoroughly investigate, but the next time it happens I will try to re-create it and add a cut down project here. At least with what I observed yesterday, I had added some notes in write mode and then switched to engrave mode and made a few edits. When I went to undo a few nudges, Dorico completely ignored everything that I had just done in engrave mode and started deleting the notes as if my adding them was the last action.

1 Like

Same here but many times I’m not even sure what is being undone. Will keep my eyes peeled.

1 Like

I still have the problem often in Dorico 4.2.0.1092
Are there any news on that? Uploaded the diagnostics report here, does that help?
It seems that suddenly the program jumps back many steps in the undo list. (but the REDO list then goes on where I’ve been at my last steps) I didn’t change the working mode, was in write mode since a long time, and Dorico jumped back in the undo list a lot (I think about half an hour of work, how much would this be…about 100-200 steps?)
@dspreadbury does it help to send you the dorico file? If you give me an email I can send it.
It would be really good to fix that bug, it causes such major problems and crashing a lot of work, because often one doesn’t realize, where in the score Dorico suddenly does undo things that have been made long ago.
Thanks for the help!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.8 MB)

It hasn’t happened to me for a while (I don’t think!!).

I’ll take a guess and say that the team would need to be able to follow a set of steps to reproduce the problem before they can fix it - even though they’re aware of it already.

I’m afraid there’s no news on this issue at the moment. One of our developers is looking into it, but as yet we don’t have any insight into what’s causing the problem.

I’m also having issues with ‘undo’ on a fairly regular basis, i.e. once an hour.

As described above, undo will change things many steps back from where I’m currently working, with no relationship to the last action I just made.

In my case, its occurring during note editing, cutting/pasting pitch material between instruments. After working for a while undo stops functioning correctly, as described above.

Diagnostics file attached, created just as I noticed this occurring again.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.8 MB)

A restart of Dorico temporarily solves the issue, clearing cache?, but its a given it will come visit again shortly.

This is bug makes me very nervous, as it means random changes/errors in a chart that proofing may or may not uncover. That said, my schedules limit time for proofing to a bare minimum and I need to be able to trust that Dorico isn’t adding in random changes somewhere in a score.

3 Likes

We are continuing to work on this problem, though the fact that we are unable to reproduce it at will makes it difficult to be sure that we have solved it. However, we believe the problem to be related to the way Dorico’s menus are updated, and one or more underlying problems in the Qt application framework upon which Dorico’s user interface is built. We have in the last few days been able to fix the problems we have been able to reproduce with some menu items from the Edit menu spontaneously disappearing or moving to another menu, and we hope that this fix will also somehow take care of this problem, though without being able to reproduce it at will it’s impossible to know for sure.

3 Likes

I think I was able now to reproduce it. Can it be that it always happens, when one is pressing Ctrl+Z (in english Ctrl+Y) while Dorico is still calculating something else?
For me it happened now several times, that while I was entering notes, which had a huge delay and then immediatelly pressed Ctrl+Z then afterwards the problem appeared. Can you reproduce it?

Here is my Diagnostics report if that helps?
I am right now on Dorico 4.2.1092
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.2 MB)