Make "Glue" trim if only one event is selected

Often you end up with midi data outside the midi event (“white notes”). Throughout the years people have tried, with various success, to create macros that delete this data automatically. As far as I know, there is nothing that really works today as in “you select the midi event, press a key to run the macro, all dead data is deleted from the event”.

In Ableton Live you can achieve this effect by “Joining a clip” (as they call it) with itself, the equivalent in Cubase would be to select “Glue” and then clicking on a single midi event. You can emulate this feature in Cubase by creating two empty events on both sides of the event you want to trim, and then glue all three events together. But this is very tedious. Instead, I suggest Cubase adopt the behavior from Live and let Glue trim the data if only one event is selected, as using glue on a single event doesn’t do anything anyway right now.

or,
Select midi part, then invoke macro:

:wink:

Close, but not quite. It doesn’t delete notes that stretch into the MIDI event, and as it open and close the editor window you get this ugly flashing window appearing… and of course it moves the loop locators, which you don’t want. Although I have to say it’s a clever hack, it’s still not really a solution.

Yes, it’s just an example, and there are other ways to do it, depending the basis of users’ workflows, whether they use the lower zone, how the locators are used, and if the In-Place Editor can be used, and a host of other subjective factors.

My workaround doesn’t nullify your FR, of course.

St Victoria wrote:
“I suggest Cubase adopt the behavior from Live and let Glue trim the data if only one event is selected, as using glue on a single event doesn’t do anything anyway right now.”

I like this idea, but for the sake of safety, I would prefer if a modifier key was required to accompany a Glue click to invoke the action.

Many times, I have mistakenly clicked on the wrong Part before selecting the series of Parts I wanted to glue. If that Part still contained hidden notes I might’ve wanted to hang onto, I’d possibly be out of luck later on down the line…simply because I didn’t know (or forgot) the tool does this. Users could get tripped up because the “feature” as described, is essentially hidden from the user.

Adding a modifier key requirement to the Glue tool makes it a conscious decision that “remove hidden notes” is to be the expected result.

I like this idea, but for the sake of safety, I would prefer if a modifier key was required to accompany a Glue click to invoke the action.

Not only that, I realized that clicking on a single midi event with Glue does in fact glue it with any adjacent event to the right, so definitely some kind of modifier would be needed…

I think “Bounce MIDI” should work like that. “Bounce Selection (for Audio)” is similar function.