Making Bars With Hidden Rests Display in Parts

Hi all, apologies for the convoluted title–I’m not sure the best way to handle my situation, as I’m likely looking for a workaround for a unique, alternate notation. I’m also not sure how to attach screenshots–first post here.

While in a normal full score view, I created two full bars of rests in a few instruments, and then put a wide-narrow wavy horizontal line the empty staff with a line and text attached to the line. Because there are notes in two other instruments for these two bars, they’re displaying fine in the score.

However, in the parts, Dorico is making the bars wildly different sizes. Before I created system breaks to put these two bars on their own line, the bars were extremely narrow. Now, on the same system together, the first bar is the length of almost the whole system, and the second bar is extremely narrow.

Is there a way to change the width of a bar with only hidden rests in parts, or change how it displays? Ideally, I’d want these two bars to be equal widths on one system so that the horizontal wavy line and its accompanying text can can span the system.

Additionally, if you have any ideas for another way for me to have just a horizontal line and no notes or rests displaying in these bars that’ll work across scores and parts, please let me know. Thank you!

Here’s how the two bars look in the score in the instruments that I’m referring to, followed by how they look in one of the parts on their own system:

Welcome to the forum @amk!

I’m not sure if this would work but you could try to enter two dotted semibreves (or as few notes as possible) and hide the noteheads in Engrave mode, rather than removing rests. This should allow the spacing to remain the same whilst the bars appearing to be empty.

Does this work?

2 Likes

Thanks so much–indeed it did!

1 Like