Making dynamic points constant/linear is not available in Dynamics lane

Hi,

In instruction video “Play Mode Improvements | New Features in Dorico 3.1” I came across the possibility to make dynamic points constant/linear via a right click menu (in Play mode)

However when in Dynamics I select a point or group of points (system or user created) and right click I don’t get the menu as presented in the video to select those options. The only thing I get is a list of 5 icons (select, pencil etc). It doesn’t matter where I click in the Dynamics field, there is no way to get that menu.

Is this a bug? Or is there an alternative way to toggle between constant/linear?

Welcome to the forum, @Wimuz! That video has been somewhat superseded by the revamped version of Play mode and the new Key Editor introduced in Dorico 4. You can now toggle a selected point in the MIDI CC or dynamics editor between linear and constant using the buttons in the header at the left-hand side of the editor, i.e. these ones:

CleanShot 2023-02-18 at 22.20.41@2x

1 Like

Hi @dspreadbury I can indeed see those buttons under Midi pitch bend and CC’s but not under Dynamics:

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.12.03

Maybe I’m missing something? Was it intentionally removed for some reason?
In this thread: Can't overide dynamic data with CC1 - #14 by dspreadbury you recommended to edit dynamics in the Dynamics lane and not in the associated CC1, so just wondering why it’s not available there then.

Now given that it doesn’t seem to be available on the Dynamics lane, when I try out this “convert” feature in the CC1 lane, it seems to only work on a point that is at the beginning of a line created with the line tool (not on a point created with the draw tool). I guess that’s by design, but I needed some trial/error to find that out :wink:

Ah, right – yes, you did say “dynamics lane” but I obviously glossed over that when reading your post, apologies. I’m not completely sure why those buttons don’t appear in the new dynamics editor – I will check with my colleagues and come back to you.

Thanks @dspreadbury, looking forward to additional information.

This is something that I’m VERY interested in. Any luck on getting some info back from the team?

Sorry for not coming back sooner. The constant/linear buttons will be added to the dynamics editor in the next major version of Dorico.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks, Daniel! :slight_smile:

Thanks Daniel!

I don’t have D5 yet, but the release notes say:

Thanks @dspreadbury for having brought this on the agenda (if it wasn’t already there).

1 Like