Making this forum easier to use?

Daniel and Dedicated Steinberg Employees,

Now that we’ve got Dorico and it’s generating a lot of comment, would it be possible to subdivide the current Dorico forum into areas, such as:

• • using Dorico from a computer point of view… hardware, audio (devices), OS-specific, installation, peripherals, the Download Assistant etc
    • using Dorico from a scoring/notation point of view… How do I? “This is how to…” etc
    Dorico/Steinberg/eLicenser questions
    • payment, registration, cross grade etc
    • specific bugs
    • third party/VI threads
    • feature requests
    • general discussion
    • etc etc!

Do others agree? Build on my suggested-only list?

Wouldn’t it be easier for those of us interested specifically in certain areas to work through the growing numbers of posts each day?

If it’s too much work for an already highly dedicated and probably sleepless team, then, please ignore.

In full solidarity and with many thanks for everything you’re all doing… :slight_smile:

+1

+1

+1

+1

The trouble with having separate forum sections is that so many people post in the wrong one, or whichever one they happen to be in…

+1 to the separate forums

Well at least the majority of posts end up in the right place…anything would be better than complete chaos like this…

Yes; but there is a great team of moderators to move such posts.

We also appreciate, I’d think, that some posts fall across more than one suggested sub-forums’ devisions. Yet wouldn’t it still be easier to navigate that way than it is now with this huge interest in Dorico over the last ten days or so?

Don’t get me wrong; I’d love to see sections.

But what I’d love to see most is people taking the time to see if their question/issue has already been addressed. That would cut the number of posts in half (or more).

Agreed. But that takes time, and not always easy to use. When they get a manual put out, that will reduce the number of posts substantially. At least the “how do I” posts.

Any improvements to the suggested list, please?

Maybe you meant it to be covered in your original list, but I would add a section on Playback, all by itself.

Thanks, Phrazemaster; it now reads:

• • using Dorico from a computer point of view… hardware, audio (devices), OS-specific, installation, peripherals, the Download Assistant etc
    • using Dorico from a scoring/notation point of view… How do I? “This is how to…” etc
    Dorico/Steinberg/eLicenser questions
    • payment, registration, cross grade etc
    • specific bugs
    • third party/VI threads
    • feature requests
    • general discussion
    • playback

Might I suggest that whilst we have just the one forum that it would be generally helpful and informative to think about the subject line before starting a new post. One such format is: ‘Bug: copy/paste snarfles the udon’ or ‘Crash when reticulating splines in a new project’, ‘Feature request: Dorico needs a built-in mail client’

Less helpful subject lines are things like ‘Another bug’, ‘oh no, not again’ and ‘It was the Easter bunny’.

Good subject lines help us distinguish those containing problems that still need to be diagnosed from other more discursive posts, and these will also show up much more easily in searches. Every time we answer the same question again it reduces the amount of time we have available to fix the bug that the poster was complaining about…

I think my all time favorite topic title from the Cubase 8 forum would have to be the title “Cubase 8”

I’ve been moderating in the Cubase forums for a couple years or so, and I second what Paul is saying, and would go a step further- I don’t think multiple forums would help, except where certain forums require moderation for each post, like the Cubase bug report forum.

The thread title is key to getting the attention of the right person(s) and is most helpful in finding historical posts using Google search, which is what you should use for this forum. site:steinberg.net

Definitely -1 for 9 new subforums from me :smiley:

(if it really was the Easter Bunny I’d be okay with that topic title :wink: )

I would think sub forums would greatly enhance finding bug reports and posts requiring immediate attention vs more discursive philosophical meanderings.

Might save you Steinbergers quite a bit of time too.

I’m certainly not in favour of subforums at this point. This is the second time this proposal has been made in the last few days, but I’m still against it. Yes, there’s a lot of traffic on the forum right now, but I don’t believe that splitting the forum up would actually result in people posting their questions in the right place anyway, and it would just result in more work for the poor saps who are trying to keep up with everything (i.e. me and my colleagues). I don’t think it’s a bad idea in the fullness of time, but I think four days in is too soon to be deciding how best to split things up.

Once we start identifying themes or particular clusters of questions, I would imagine that a few pertinent “sticky” posts will help pre-answer some of the common queries. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are many licensing threads even with Daniel’s topic at the top of the forums)

Sub-forums would also make it more difficult for those of us who read through these posts to learn more about the program. Yes, one has to winnow through some griping, but I’ve learned a great deal just by reading others’ posts, and multiple forums would complicate that. I think Paul’s idea of better subject lines is the best solution.