Manual is released

The reason Print mode is last, is because it’s the last step in the workflow; but I see where you’re coming from as well. I don’t envy the Dorico team for the tough choices they have to make, from algorithms, to UI, etc. etc.

Printing is always the last stage for me as I tend to listen through pieces for mistakes first, so the present layout suits me fine.

We are reviewing how the documentation for Dorico will be developed from here, and there is some shuffling of personnel going on as projects are reallocated among our excellent manuals team in Hamburg. In the short term I will be writing some more of the documentation, but unfortunately my time to work on documentation is limited given my many other responsibilities, so progress is going more slowly than I would like. But the plan is for there to be more regular updates once I have figured out the authoring software and got into the rhythm of writing again.

Thank you Daniel :exclamation: and keep up the good work :exclamation: :smiley:

This is is great news. The Sibelius manual was always an exemplary and gripping narrative, whereas the current Dorico manual is not compelling reading, but rather dry and soporific despite its undoubted accuracy.

David

I have written manuals, although nothing as complex as for Dorico. I doubt that one single manual will ever do all that is required for everyone. There is big gap between an introductory get-you-going guide for the newcomer to the software, and a complete reference manual, and probably both are necessary.

The Sibelius Reference Manual was a fine work, the complete reference which always took care to explain as well as document. The little-known “Sibelius 7 Music Notation Essentials” in the Avid Learning Series provided a structured learning pathway. Many professionals and computer buffs will pick up Dorico by a kind of osmosis, and others with less intuition will find the reference manual helpful, but it’s perhaps the S7MNE which will encourage many others to consider buying the package, although others might find video tutorials more useful.

Yes, I think a series of structured tutorials to go with the manual would be a huge help - I can’t imagine having learned Sibelius without these. A set of sample scores would also be really useful, both as a learning aid and to show what Dorico is capable of.

It’s early days though and I should imagine that once Dorico has settled more we’ll be seeing third party guides.