Manual setup of midi module doesn't show patch names in Inspector

Hi guys,
I’ve finally took the time to organize my external midi modules in Cubase to speed up the process or choosing a patch I need for a particular tune without having to go through a manual, pick the bank and patch number I need.

Four modules I have that makes a good example of this is the Alesis NanoSynth, NanoBass, NanoPiano and DM5

When going to the Studio/More Options/Midi Devise Manger the Alesis DM5 and NanoSynth are available in the default list. But the NanoBass and NanoPiano are not.

I know that the NanoSynth is different than the other two Nano units in that it works in GM mode, 640 presets and will receive on all 16 midi channels simultaneously. Going into this midi instrument to see how it’s setup, I did the same for the NanoBass unit. I added the two banks labeled as “Group 1” and “Group 2” since that’s the way Cubase authors label the banks in the DM5 and NanoSynth.
The NanoSyth has a “Bank Select 14 Bit” as the first Midi data and then the “Program Change” data under this. I did the same for the NanoBass. I added the names and program change along with the bank number in the same manor as the preconfigured NanoSynth but when I look at the inspector comparing the NanoSynth to the NanoBass they show up very differently…

The NanoSynth shows simple a patch name with no bank or number…just the name or the patch but the NanoBass shows a bank number and patch number despite the fact that I just added all of the patch and bank information just like the NanoSynth modules.

I’m pulling my hair out trying to see something that I might have missed as to why the patch names aren’t showing up but haven’t found anything yet.

Any thoughts on this guys? With so many patch options have the names show up rather than bank and patch number (that means nothing to me) would be soooo much better but I can’t seem to get it to display with the patch names in the Inspector yet the NanoSynth and DM5 show up this way.

Oh when I looked it up in the Cubase manual the last sentence in this section stated that the patch name will be used rather than the patch/bank numbers.

Thank you for any time spent trying to help me on this.
Chris

Hi,

mind sharing the xml file for the nanoBass (if this is the one with issues) so we can import it and have a look too?

Hi M. C.
There is no XML for the NanoBass or the NanoPiano…although I contacted Alesis and they told me they are looking into this and will get back to me in a day or so.

I created the instrument manually. - oh to you mean export what I created as an XML and post it here? I didn’t think of that!

Ok I’m attaching the XML for the NanoBass that I made. If you compare it to the NanoSynth which is in the default Midi Device Manager list in Cubase 12 pro the look very similar as you’ll see. However they are not going to be the same because the NanoSynth is a GM, multitimbral unit where the NanoBass/Piano are not so the NanoBass/Piano only have two banks where the NanoSynth have five.

Keep in mind that I didn’t actually finish inputting all the data for the NanoBass. Bank 0/1 is complete, but bank 2 is only about a quarter of the way complete.
NanoBass-Banks-Patches.xml (1.5 MB)

Hi, just checked the scripts, most probably upon creating the nanoBass you missed to check the Preset Reference option, and this is why you don’t see the patch names.
Other than that, inspecting your presets for the nanoBass, I saw that in some cases you have set an MSB instead of 14-bit bank change, and in other cases, you have assigned aftertouch instead of program change.

Hey M.C. ,
Thanks for taking a look. I don’t recall ever hearing about or seeing the Preset Reference option. I just did a search in the Cubase 12 manual but it didn’t show up. Where is that located?

As far as the mistake of MSB instead of 14 bit bank change and after touch, Yeah wow…I made quite a few mistakes there. It’s the way you have to add the data. It’s super monotonous and tedious. One thing at a time and select each perimeter. The “Add Multiple Presets” doesn’t work correctly. If I use this method of adding multiple presets and I place the 14 bit bank selection above the Program change it only produces a single preset rather than many with the same format…so I gave up on this and added them one at a time…the reasons for the mistakes.

UPDATE: I see where the Preset Reference is now! Crap! It’s in the creation of the device. Figures! Do you think I could find this “tag” in the XML file and add it to the existing nano bass file then re-import it in?

This was so weird.
I created two new devices and named them “TestPresetEnabled” and “TestPresetDisabled” I exported them out as XML file and used a tool to compared the two. there was only a single difference in the two.
The “enabled” file show this line:

Where as the “disabled” file show this line:

This is the only different between the two and the only think I did is check off the “Preset Reference” check box.

The other weird thing I didn’t expect was that there were lots of references in this file to the NanoSynth. Why? This was a “Define New…” device from scratch. Why would there be references to the NanoSynth?

Well that got me nowhere! I thought for sure the XML would show me a difference that I could used to modify the current one I created for the NanoBass so it would show patch names rather than the bank/patch numbers.
So I have to do this all over again after ticking he Preset Reference option?
C

This is because we export the whole Setup, not just the selected device.

Well, just checked the structure of an exported file, as you did, and it is doable, though unfortunately it’s not just a tag.

You have to find the segment containing the list of banks (always talking about the device with no presets shown) that is the segment which starts with

<list name="Banks" type="obj">

Cut this segment (all of it until it is terminated with a </list>) and place this inside the segment which starts with

<obj class="PMidiDeviceNode" ID=

at the very end of it (just before the terminating </obj>)

You then have to take a note of all banks IDs and create this list

<list name="Banks" type="obj">
            <item value="your first bank id here"/>
            <item value="your second bank id here and so on"/>
</list>

you then have to paste this list to the very end of the object PMidiParameterDevice (just before its terminating </obj>)

I tried this workaround and it works, however if you’re not familiar with xml you may easily break the structure and have a corrupted file, so I’m not sure if it’s worth your time.

Maybe you should have a look at this post and rewrite your banks in an easier way?

Wow. Thanks.
Much more than I wanted to do to get some patch names into the project.

FYI I created another NanoBass instrument but this time ticked off the Preset Reference, then added some groups and patches. Then I created a new MIDI track with this new instrument but the patch and bank number still show up rather than the patch name like the NanoSynth.

In the link you sent me for the txt file, this looks like a better method but LibreOffice/OpenOffice don’t have an option for a text file that is tab separated values.
Either way, I see in the image that is shows the instrument creating the banks and batch names from this txt file but there is nothing to indicate that the Inspector shows these patch names and not the old bank and patch numbers.

I added a question in that thread to see if somebody can tell me one way or another. Well as usually something that appears to be a simple project turned into a five day expedition with no progress.

Anyway thanks for your help on this.
C

Hi, when you use open or libre office, you can select saving as CSV and on the next step you can select tab as a delimiter. Once the saving is done, you can simply alter the file extension from csv to txt.

You can experiment with temporary importing a script. For example, you can create a temporary JD-800, based on its dedicated patch script. You’ll see that it correctly shows banks and patches.

Thanks again M.C…
I did exactly what you mentioned in Libre/Open office but it didn’t work despite that fact that I change the extension from CSV to TXT.
Ok I’ll mess around with this a bit more than.
I have these modules but no way to see or select the patch which makes it a project to go look up what each bank/number refers to when it comes to the patch itself. So it’s not exactly a quick process when you’re trying to find a patch for a quick filler patch to fulfil an idea. Instead I got into “tech” mode and lose the initial inspiration.

Thanks Buddy!
Chris