Many Flows and Very Slow

Hi, I am working with many flows in my project, using them as sketches of small ideas. They are for small subsets of a large ensemble, many just ensemble, but I haven’t taken the time (and prefer not ) to turn off unneeded players in each flow. It is very slow to move the flows around in Setup mode, taking maybe 30 seconds each move, and I just doubled my RAM from 8 to 16 GB with no noticeable difference. This prevents my hoped-for workflow of arranging around the sketches into various sequences. I understand that this isn’t really the main intended use of the Flows feature, but is this slowness unavoidable? Searching other posts, I’ve tried having nothing else open, turning off viewing system track or attachments, set the ‘Fixed number of systems per frame’ option to 1, and tried both galley view and page view with empty staves hidden. Any suggestions

1. Work within one layout, and have that layout set to start each new flow on a new page. Close any other tabs, Save the project then close and reopen the project.
  2. Processor cores are at least as important as RAM. If you’re not running a quad core machine (minimum) you’re likely to experience bottlenecks when working with multi-flow projects.

Dorico has to do a lot of work when you reorder flows: it has to completely recalculate the layout you’re looking at, and especially if you tell it that it’s allowed to have new flows starting on the same page, you’re in the worst case scenario. As the program matures we certainly intend to try and optimise these kinds of operations, but it will take some time.

Thanks very much pianoleo and Daniel. Alas, my machine only has two cores! And I did have it set to one flow per page, and no other tabs open. However, by selecting all the flows and unchecking all but the score layout from the Layouts panel, and saving and reopening, it did speed up, down to about 11 seconds, which does help! Keeping empty staves hidden seemed best for speed. If there are any other tips to shave off some seconds, I’m all ears. Thanks!

I should say that I THOUGHT I had four cores, but apparently this AMD A10 “has two Modules with 2 integer cores each, which AMD counts as 4 cores - but this is not exactly the same as 4 cores at an intel-4-core or a Ryzen-4-core.
It is, technically, between two-cores-four-threads (as in a i3-7xxx) and four-cores (as in a i5-7xxxx), a hybrid, so to say.”