Mapping control surface faders to VST CC controls

hi there. names frank, new to the forum, first post, relatively new to cubase, not new to basic DAW workflow in general. i havent seen this subject on here so i assume it is acceptable to make this post. if this post is redundant, id greatly appreciate being directed to the right link.

Q: Can anyone explain how to go about mapping/ assigning a control surface’s sliders to cc midi controls on vst instruments? i’m an aspiring film composer and i simply want to use at least 4 faders to control the dynamics (modulation), vibrato, timerelease, expressions etc of my instruments while playing. i’m currently using a korg nanoKontrol studio and ive found its software to be very uncooperative in cubase. So, i’ll probably doe out the cash for a jl cooper fader master ES-4 or ES-8, the motorized faders will hopefully stay alligned to the level of the effect whenever i come back to said instrument. i know the vst’s i’m using have the ability to connect this way as well. So i really just want to know if anyone on here has done something at least similar to this and what route they took from start to finish/ what equipment theyre using to do so. it would be a great help.

Hi.

Goto device setup
Click remote devices
Click + sign top left
Choose generic remote
Assign midi input/output to your korg
Press apply.

Goto VST quick controls on that list
Activate “learn” box
Select/highlight Quick control 1
Move fader on korg
Repeat this for all eight quick controls (one fader per QC assignment slot- learn will stay active throughout)
Press Apply.

Exit Device setup

Select/highlight track in arranger window
Open vst on track
Click on quick controls in inspector (left side)
Press “L” button (learn)
Click on first slot and twiddle parameter on your vst.
Click on second slot and twiddle another parameter on vst.
Eat, sleep, rave, repeat until all slots are set with your choices.
Click “L” button again to leave learn mode.
Use the 8 faders to control your new QCs(quick controls)

Njoy.

Thanks for the help ggc. I’ll be picking my computer up from having an upgrade installed later today, so I’ll finally have the chance to test this out. Only thing I’m wondering is, will I need to do this setup everytime I open a new file? And have to do it for every single vst instrument I open in that file? Doing that for over 100 tracks sounds crazy, but if thats the only way, I guess so be it. It’s just that I’ve seen people use this type of controlling in tutorials for other subjects of work flow, and they seem to delete and open new instruments without having to re-sync their controller

np.

You only need to do this once as your controller will be configured for use with any QCs because of the initial setup you will have done in the device manager.

QCs parameters in the inspector are mapped out per default. - if you do not like the default mapping, you will need to do this part again:

Select/highlight track in arranger window
Open vst on track
Click on quick controls in inspector (left side)
Press “L” button (learn)
Click on first slot and twiddle parameter on your vst.
Click on second slot and twiddle another parameter on vst.
Eat, sleep, rave, repeat until all slots are set with your choices.
Click “L” button again to leave learn mode.