Markers with nanoKontrol2 - Cubase 8.5.15 (win10)

(Sorry if this has already been asked and answered - I searched and found nothing)

I installed a Korg nanoKontrol2 with Cubase 8.5.15-64 Artist on a Windows 10 system and got everything working except Set Marker, Prev Marker, and Next Marker buttons are not working.

I created a Marker track and can add and navigate to markers using the appropriate keys on the marker track and transport. But the three nanoKontrol2 “Marker” buttons do nothing. I see MIDI info being received when the buttons are pressed, so I assume they’re not broken.

I also installed the KORG KONTROL Editor but am not sure if that can be of any use.

Has anyone else seen this issue and found a fix?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi,

Are you using Mackie Control, or Generic Remote Device as the Remote Device in Cubase?

I fixed it !! :-))

Here’s what I did to set it up and where I made an error:

1. Plugged in nanoKONTROL2 while holding down the SET MARKER and REW buttons to set it to Cubase DAW mode

2. Installed Korg nanoKONTROL2 midi driver v1.15.14.1
    Confirmed that the nanoKONTROL2 was using that driver in Device Manager

3. Launched Cubase Artist v8.5.15

4. Went to Device Setup and selected the top left “+” button and added a “Mackie Control” entry.

Set MIDI Input to “nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB”
Set MIDI Output to “nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL”

1. MY ERROR and the SOLUTION: In the Device Setup → MIDI Port Setup I had *UNCHECKED the check mark in the "In All MIDI’ for “nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB”. I don’t know why I did that. But now that it’s enabled everything is working perfectly.

A QUESTION:

Is there any reason that I should set the nanoKONTROL2 as MIDI Input/Output for the ‘Track Quick Controls’ and/or ‘VST Quick Controls’ in the Remote Devices section?

Thank you for offering to help!

As often happens, carefully describing a problem will often reveal its solution :slight_smile:

Russell

Hi,

Track Quick Controls allow you to control dynamically multiple parameters, based on the currently selected track. In every track, you can define, which plug-in parameters (up to 8) should be controlled on is track by the 8 physical controls.

Do you suggest that I set the nanoKONTROL2 as MIDI input and output for both Track and VST Quick Controls?

I’m still quite a newbie, so the techniques you describe are still foreign to me. But it does sound like something I might want to do once I progress to that point.

Thank you,

Russell

Hi,

There are another threads about the Teack vs VST Quick Controls. It is pretty confusing for lots of users. I would recommend you to use Track QCs only, which is more general.

Thank you for your generous help Martin. I’ll get back to learning the software and save any more questions for when I’m ready for more advanced techniques.

I would mark this thread as ‘Solved’ if I know how.

Russell

Not sure if this thread is dead but I just bought a nanoKontrol2 to use with CUBASE Elements 8.5
I setup the nano as a Mackie Control and it works except the Marker functions.
Marker SET does nothing,
Marker PREV does nothing and
FREW and FFWD do nothing.

HELP!

Hi,

I don’t know, how exactly his Mackie Control Protocol implemented in nanoKontrol2. But if it’s just u “dummy” sending MIDI Commands… Cubase is using different command for the button, which is marked as “Marker” on the default template of Mackie Cotnrol Universal. Cubase is using command “Left” here. So different function is triggered.

Rewind and Fast FWD should work. These buttons are universal.

Thanks. I messed with it for quite a while yesterday, no luck.

I’ve also discovered that track<, track > and CYCLE also do nothing.

It would be awesome if the Mackie Control selection was editable.
I love what each channel group does but I would add zoom in/out in place of Track </>
and reassign fader 8 to Stereo out
Is this possible?

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot customize it.