Masking a tie

Is there a better solution for this? I’m placing an “empty” text object behind the tie, but as you can see, it gets a bit fiddly as note spacing changes.

EDIT: I solved it, but I’ll leave it here in case it helps others. I just attached the text item to the actual rhythmic position I needed it, rather than at the downbeat. Duh.

Not sure why the signpost looks so funny, but it all works.

3 Likes

I think the conventional solution would be just to move the tie up, and move the left hand end right.
nudged tie.png

1 Like

I can see that in this case, but sometimes there’s no way around it.

1 Like

@dan_kreider, how did you mask the tie without masking the note?

It’s a text object with a “white” space, dragged into place.

Thanks for your response. What I meant is that Dorico not only hides the slur but also the note behind the text object in my case.

Hi @maartenterhorst , I reproduced the very clever solution of @dan_kreider (and thank you Dan!)

If you click (several times, because there are several objects one over the other) with shift+option on the C, at some point you will see the “empty” text: I made it with three dots, and then I made the font smaller (just press enter to edit it) and changed the Erasure paddings in engrave mode, so that it just covers the tie (I changed also the Leading in the text, but you can have the same result making the vertical paddings even smaller…)

erase background to hide tie partially.dorico (917.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for your help! I had set the text background color to white instead of using the Erase Background property of the text object, which also hides the note, whereas Erase Background leaves the note in place and only hides the slur (which is not logically predictable). Thanks for sending the file!

1 Like

I think we should consider this as a feature request, I once encountered the same situation where I needed to hide some ties over note-heads.

@dspreadbury what do you think about this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar problem a while ago, and discussed it here (I think, or possibly on notat.io); but I can’t remember what solution I came up with.

Useful information, I know… :roll_eyes: I’ll see if I can find it.

1 Like