Master Page editing

Hi, I’m trying to setup a Master Page in order to create a house style.

• When I’m editing master pages I find it very difficult to select (almost) overlapping frames. Is there a possibility to pinpoint a frame without entering the wrong one.

• I can only see the coordinates of a frame when I edit the frame borders. I miss permanent coordinates of a frame when it’s not edited.

• Can I copy and paste frames? I.e. a graphics frame containing a logo.

• When I place a graphic in a graphics frame (and save it) the frame is empty after reloading the Dorico file.

• Guidelines would be helpful (i.e. center of page, center of frame)

I’m looking forward to the next update, things get better and better…

Jack

Thanks for your feedback, Jack. I agree with your points about selecting overlapping frames and wanting to see a more continuous read-out of the coordinates.

I’ve not encountered the problem you describe with changes to graphics frames not being saved and reloaded properly. What kind of graphic are you trying to add? On a master page, or in a graphics frame on an overridden page in your layout?

Thanks for your answer, Daniel,

I’m trying to place a graphic (png ore jpg) in a graphics frame on the master page as well on a overridden page. The outcome after reloading is the same: no line onder the header (2 attachments).

Perhaps it is part of a more serious problem: after a crash 10 days ago I can’t open a new project from template on my iMac 10.11.06. When I try to start a new project Dorico hangs or disappears.
I only can start a new project on my W10 machine, transfer the file to the Mac and then the new project will open.

Perhaps the next update will solve the problem, or should I reinstal Dorico?

Thanks, Jack.
Kyrie - Rossini.dorico.zip (237 KB)

The problem with hanging and crashing when starting a new project seems unrelated to me — I suggest you try the clean-up script Paul posted in the FAQ thread.

Your master page graphics problem is a weird one. It works OK for me in a new project, but it does indeed seem to be going wrong in your existing project. I’ve passed this on to Andrew, who did all of the work on the page layout and graphics import features, to see if he can offer any further information on this one. Please bear with me.

Thanks Daniel,

I found the script (Mac), unzipped it but how do I run this script?
I the meantime I uninstalled and reinstalled Dorico without any improvements…

Jack.

Open the Terminal, and after unzipping the script, drag it into the Terminal window, which will put it on the command line. Hit Return, and the script will run.

Thanks, sometimes life is easy…

Ran the script and the result is “/bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory”
Not a good result?

In “Library - Application Support - Steinberg” after that I don’t have “Dorico”.
Shouldn’t it be there?

Well, now you’ve run the script, it’s good that the Dorico folder isn’t there. Make sure you’re looking in your user-level Library folder rather than in the system one. The best way to get to that folder is to use the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder, and paste ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg into the dialog and click Go. Now, if you see the Dorico folder listed there, you should delete it.

Thanks Daniel,

After running the script the Dorico folder is gone now.
But Dorico still hangs when I try to load a template.

I thought after running the cleaning script Dorico has it’s factory settings again.
But the list of Recent Projects in the hub still shows my projects. Shouldn’t the list be empty too.

The start of Dorico became very slow now, about 40 seconds (was a few seconds).
Loading a file is slow too, 30 seconds (was a few).
Same results after restart of the Mac: slow loading of Dorico and it’s files.
(iMac 2011 El Capitan SSD 2,8 GHz 16GB)

And still no graphics after reloading a Dorico file.

Perhaps I should uninstall Dorico completely an reinstall it.
How do I remove Dorico complete and thoroughly before a reinstall.
(Or I’ll wait for the next update and park Dorico in the meantime.)

Jack

Could you try running Activity Monitor, and when Dorico hangs while trying to open a template, select the Dorico process in Activity Monitor and click the little cog icon in the toolbar, then choose Sample Process, and zip up the resulting file and attach it here? Perhaps we can see what Dorico is doing while it’s apparently hanging.

The fact that it’s taking a long time to start up suggests to me that it could be a problem with the audio engine and its settings, but that is just a hunch.

Okay, here it is.
Momentopname van Dorico 01.txt.zip (17.3 KB)

Thanks, we’ll take a look and see if we can figure out what might be going wrong.

Still no answers about my problems/questions?

• When I place a graphic in a graphics frame (and save it) the frame is empty after reloading the Dorico file.

• When I start a new project with one of the templates the computer hangs. I only can start a new project on my W10 machine, transfer the file to the Mac and then the new project will open.

-The start of Dorico became very slow after cleaning script: about 40 seconds (was a few seconds). Loading a file is slow too, 30 seconds (was a few). Same results after restart of the Mac: slow loading of Dorico and it’s files.
(iMac 2011 El Capitan SSD 2,8 GHz 16GB). The Activity monitor shows often: VST Audio Engine not responding (it does after a long time though). I already did send you a Sample Process…

• How do I remove Dorico complete and thoroughly before a reinstall.
    (Or I’ll wait for the next update and park Dorico in the meantime.)

Thanks, Jack.

Apologies, I hadn’t realised that I hadn’t closed the loop on this one. Please forgive me: I have quite a lot of things to try to keep track of at the moment.

We have identified this bug and it will be fixed in the forthcoming 1.0.10 update. In the meantime unfortunately there is no satisfactory workaround. I believe you will find that a graphic placed in a frame on a page in your layout, rather than on the master page definition itself, will be saved correctly, but unfortunately not on a master page.

No, not yet. We definitely plan to include this kind of functionality in future.

• When I start a new project with one of the templates the computer hangs. I only can start a new project on my W10 machine, transfer the file to the Mac and then the new project will open.

Are you certain that the computer has actually hung? If you try to create a very small project based on e.g. the Piano template, does it actually open? On my system, it takes something like 5-6 seconds before it’s done (most of that time being taken up by setting up HALion and loading the piano patch).

-The start of Dorico became very slow after cleaning script: about 40 seconds (was a few seconds). Loading a file is slow too, 30 seconds (was a few). Same results after restart of the Mac: slow loading of Dorico and it’s files.
(iMac 2011 El Capitan SSD 2,8 GHz 16GB). The Activity monitor shows often: VST Audio Engine not responding (it does after a long time though). I already did send you a Sample Process…

Perhaps you need to go and change the settings in Edit > Device Setup? Don’t forget to quit and restart Dorico after making these changes (which shouldn’t be necessary, but due to a bug in the audio engine this is necessary for the time being; hopefully this will be resolved in the forthcoming 1.0.10 update).

• How do I remove Dorico complete and thoroughly before a reinstall.

This is unlikely to make any difference. The cleanup script removes more or less all of the files that are created by running the program, i.e. those that are not put there by the installer in the first place, and of course excluding your project files.

Thanks for your answer Daniel,

Are you certain that the computer has actually hung? If you try to create a very small project based on e.g. the Piano template, does it actually open? On my system, it takes something like 5-6 seconds before it’s done (most of that time being taken up by setting up HALion and loading the piano patch).

No, it takes forever (little watch is showing), so I must Dorico force to stop.

Perhaps you need to go and change the settings in Edit > Device Setup? Don’t forget to quit and restart Dorico after making these changes (which shouldn’t be necessary, but due to a bug in the audio engine this is necessary for the time being; hopefully this will be resolved in the forthcoming 1.0.10 update).

Changing settings makes no difference. Dorico starts very slow (“waiting for connection”).
Dorico became slow after using the cleanup script.
In “Library - Application Support - Steinberg” after that I don’t have a (new) Dorico folder. Shouldn’t it be there?
VST audio engine will only start after opening HALion Sonic SE.

Dorico_2016-10-20-133720_iMac-van-JJ.hang.zip (74.3 KB)

The Dorico folder is in your user library folder, i.e. go to the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder, and paste in this location:

~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg

and click Go. You will be taken to the Library folder for your user account, and the Dorico folder will be there (I hope!).

Thanks Daniel,

I ran the script again, deleted the Dorico folder and after a reinstall of Dorico I can finally open a template again.
I’m looking forward tot the November update!!

Jack.

Is it possible to copy one master page to another? I’ve set up a right-hand first page and would love to have the left-hand first page be the same without having to do each one manually.

Also is there a way to set a frame to be centered on a page? (not just the text centered within the frame)

The answer to both of those questions is “no” at the moment, though both are things we hope to do in future.