Mavericks Test - looking good

Hi folks. Couldn’t resist being reckless and installing Mavericks :slight_smile:

I did a test with a current project that I know was maxing out my 2012 15" Retina MBP under Mountain Lion - most of the 16GB RAM & CPU used up, creating audio crackles even at 1024 ms latency due to the number of high CPU instruments and plugins being used. Previously under Mountain Lion I had frozen quite a lot of tracks to make it workable.

SO, it seems very promising with Mavericks so far. Everything has loaded fine, drivers all seem to be working, iLok and eLicenser all working.

As far as I can tell, it’s handling the project somewhat better than before. With all tracks unfrozen I’m getting no crackles at 1024 ms latency where I did previously, but some crackles still at 512 ms latency. Temperature and fan-wise, with the tracks all unfrozen the 4 CPU temps remain above 90ºC and the fan is roaring like a wind tunnel so no change in that respect.

Seems like an improvement to me, touch wood!

It’s a big guess but it does seem stable and running more smoothly than Mountain Lion.

Good to hear.
Are you using an audio interface?

I’m using RME Babyface USB and that all seems to be working fine.

Ok I just upgraded to Mavericks.

Late 2012 iMac i7 3.4/3.9ghz ,16gig ram ,geforce 680MX, 3tb fusion drive.
Cubase 7.0.6
Steinberg UR28M latest firmware and drivers.
CC121
Komplete ultimate 8

I loaded Guitar Rig 5 Pro and my UR28m interface is working just fine. Sounding pretty awesome still.
The UR28M software panel works fine also.

Loaded up Cubase with no issue or warnings.
Opened a smallish sized project with various guitar models and Studio Drummer running through Kontakt as well as other Kontakt virtual instruments and no issues at all.

I did notice some odd memory usage with Kontakt though I suspect that might be a fusion drive cache issue which will sort itself out the more I use it.
No e-licencer issues either.

we’re all go!

Ditto… no problems here. Running great with a Presonus Firestudio Project.

Are you guys not having a problem with window focus at all? When I cmd-tab away from Cubase and try to cmd-tab back it only redraws the transport unless I hide all other windows and actually click on one of my other open pages.

I also can’t open a mix console in a new project, though they seem to open in older projects.

A lot of graphical issues here with 10.9. I am running with multiple monitors - not sure if that is the issue here.

That’s why it’s good to have a test system! :smiley:

There are some performance improvements with Mavericks, this could help Cubase performance wise.

I ran into problem with multiple monitors. However, all was fixed by unchecking ‘Displays have separate Spaces’ in System Prefs>Mission Control.

Otherwise, everything running as before.

As you might know, Apple’s Mac OS X 10.9 has just been released. Currently we are testing all Steinberg products for OS X 10.9 compatibility. The testing is still going on, so we cannot provide you with the final results.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise. Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

We are already working on updates for affected products in order to make them available as soon as possible. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to visit www.steinberg.net for news and updates.

*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.

Good to read this thread.
{‘-’}

Can someone please translate this into English?

It sounds something like ‘when you use an audio interface without special drivers there’s a bug in the bit of software that translates between OSX’s audio system and Steinberg’s audio system’

That’s my guess :slight_smile:

So, if you audio device is ‘Core Audio’ and not ASIO, you may have problems?

I have reached the limits of my poor grasp of technicalities :slight_smile:

I don’t seem to have any issues on my test system with my Focusrite Saffire Pro, but reading between the lines, perhaps this doesn’t use the CoreAudio2ASIO component. But I don’t want any ‘dangerous digital noise’, so some clarification would be helpful.