Maximum duration for staccato playback technique

Daniel, all,

As I typed the title of this thread a good number of very similar, all having the same “issue” appeared in the “Your topic is similar to…”

So I have to ask: Why was this option implemented and if for a good reason, why is it not set to “off” by default? It seems having this default to anything other than “off” causes many threads on this forum complaining about the staccato playback technique not being honored.

I’ve been personally bitten by this at least twice.

I welcome all discussion. Thanks

Staccato means very different things depending on the tempo and the written note duration. Do you really want a half note with a staccato to be played the same as an eighth note with a staccato at the same tempo? I imagine not.

Sample libraries that provide a single recorded staccato sample have a fixed real-time duration that might be appropriate for the eighth note rather than the half note.

That’s why this option exists: at a given tempo, what’s the maximum real-time length of a note that should use the pt.staccato playback technique?

1 Like

Fair enough, but isn’t the determination of which staccato to use from a sample library defined in the expression map with the Note Length filter? Not to mention that pt.staccato is suppressed by default for note lengths > 1/8. Not only would one need to define the technique correctly in the expression but in addition would have to be aware that the technique could be suppressed by this setting (leading to all the threads on this topic).

Which brings me back to my question: If, as in your example, a staccato 1/2 vs staccato 1/8 shouldn’t sound the same, why would one have to change a setting to even get the pt.staccato technique in the first place?

Bottom line, I believe the default setting should be “off” and honestly, I can’t see any application for it being “on” when the “on” setting suppresses pt.staccato. I think I’d understand “on” better if the differing note settings would trigger differing playback techniques, pt.staccato.1 , pt.staccato.2, etc.

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound daft, I’m really just trying to understand the rationale here.

Thanks for taking the time.

Sample libraries that provide a single recorded staccato sample have a fixed real-time duration that might be appropriate for the eighth note rather than the half note.

I get it. Suppressing the technique is for the use-case where you don’t have an alternative sample. Sorry, I glossed over that paragraph.

I still think the default should be “off”, but at least I now understand the setting’s purpose.