Measuring amount of time between markers in seconds/minutes

hi there,

maybe I am just missing this and don’t know how to look it up but…is it possible to see the length of a section which I’ve set up using a marker track? or at least the amount of seconds/minutes between two markers.

the reason I am asking this is: I have a song in different versions and different lengths. all in the same project and separated by using marker tracks. I simply want to know if one of my versions is hitting the 1:30 minutes mark or not. previously I’ve simply estimated and substracted the time that’s in front of the other markers but it is never really accurate. thanks!

ok so I just found out about the ruler(!) track. but I can’t seem to set the scale to “zero” at a certain specified position (i.e. one of the marker track beginnings). can you do that somehow? basically like you can do it in photoshop or illustrator by clicking and dragging the left top corner to a specific point in your document to measure it…

I’ve found a workaround: Arranger Tracks!

1. insert arranger track
  2. double click your cycle regions to select them and place the locators to the specified region
  3. double click the arranger track region to generate an arranger part
  4. set it to active and double click the arranger track of which you want to know the length
  5. hit the “e” button and look at the arranger tracklist. it will show the length in minutes and seconds!

I am still going to submit a feature request for a more flexible ruler to the feature request forum though.

1 Like

That seems like an awful lot of work.

Using the range tool, double-click on a cycle marker, or select the area whose duration you want to determine. The duration of the selection is displayed in the info line.

1 Like

that will only show the length in beats, not in seconds and you cannot change the display to anything else.

I’ve submitted a feature request here:

Actually, that’s incorrect. The display corresponds to the main ruler setting, which can be toggled using the Exchange Time Formats command, default keystroke is . (the period). This command will toggle between the two time formats you have chosen in the Transport.

Actually, that’s incorrect. The display corresponds to the main ruler setting, which can be toggled using the > Exchange Time Formats > command, default keystroke is . (the period). This command will toggle between the two time formats you have chosen in the Transport.

hmm that’s still quite inconvenient. it requires me to change the main ruler setting everytime I want to take a quick peak at the length in minutes while I also need the bars to be visible. a flexible ruler would be a lot easier and more intuitive.

It’s a matter of tap, look, tap, to change it back and forth. But knock yourself out on the feature request! :smiley:

Just create a ruler track and set that to bars/beats. Drag it up right below the main one. Set the main one to seconds/minutes. Then you have both easily (like in pro tools). Isn’t there also a key command to just toggle the ruler? “.” If I remember correctly? Oh…Steve already showed you the key command. I can’t imagine things being much more convenient than that.

The info line has some very helpful and commonly used behaviors, such as showing Start/End/Length of whatever combined parts you have selected. Being able to instantly toggle between bars/beats and seconds would be very helpful indeed. Even better would be to be able to see both at once.

Thus, i agree that Info Line flexibility in this respect is definitely desirable, independently of the project main ruler setting.

I found a new solution for this: Just take the pencil tool and draw a clip that is the size of the part of your project you want to measure inside an empty audio track. Click on the clip and you will see the length in the clip-info above the ruler.

2 Likes

I think I found the solution it’s easy
If you are using Cubase 12

1 ) Go to your most upper right, small icon of toolbar (Near the X icon)
2 ) Select Time Displays (you will see it displayed n your upper bar )
3 ) Go to the right of that box and show secondary display

And there it is, you will always have time displayed

Thanks for all the suggestions over the last few years!

These last two suggestions are not really helpful, unfortunately.

Both time displays just show the time position of the cursor in the project. They do not display the time of a selected range. That is done by the black status bar underneath which someone else pointed out earlier.

However in order to see the time in minutes and seconds, you will have to switch from displaying “Bars+Beats” to “Timecode” which requires an extra step and changes the main timeline as well.

My original question was: how can I show the actual time inbetween two markers?

So at this moment, there is no way to set up a secondary timeline scale. This would really be something that would help. The ruler track was a good start but it is very limited in its function. It would be better to just create rulers of custom length and display it in a time setting you want. There is still some improvement to be done here.

My current method: I just switch the time setting and then switch it back when I want to continue working with bars. I was searching for an item in the “Key Commands…” dialog to make switching the time setting easier using a keyboard command but so far I haven’t found the right one yet.

grafik

In the Transport Bar set up two position displays: Bars&Beats and Seconds
grafik
You might have to drag the position display to the right by utilizing the three vertical dots in order to see the secondary display.

1 Like

Thank you! I will take a look at this.