Media Bay problem

I was having crashes. So, I contacted Tech Support and they suggested I trash all of the folders in the Steinberg Application Data Folder. So I did.

When I opened Cubase, I was told that Groove Agent One was missing samples. So, I opened the Media Bay, rescanned and found that none of the VST Sound- Factory Content or User Content can be accessed.

I want to work today. So, I was wondering if somebody can help me:

Does anybody know where the VST Sound Folder-with the Factory and User Content- is supposed to be located, so that it’s recognized by the Media Bay? I assume that it was formerly in the Steinberg Application Data Folder, which I was told to trash, but I’m not sure.

I just want everything routed the way it’s supposed to be.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

You were (probably) not told to trash all the folders in “Steinberg” under “app data/roaming”, you were only suppose to move (not delete) the folder named “Cubase_x” where x is your version to a different location, so that it gets rebuilt on next Cubase startup. (Then you can move relevant files back one by one to get your old prefs restored, hopefully without bringing your initial issue back)

Detailed info on this is in the steinberg knowledge base.

You should probably do a reinstall to make sure nothing important is missing.

/A

Here’s what I was told: “First, please shut down Cubase. Then go to the Start menu, All Programs, Cubase 6, Cubase 6 Application Data Folder. In the top address bar, you should see “App Data (roaming) Steinberg” Click on Steinberg at the top. This will put you in the Steinberg app data folder. Trash all of the folders that you see in the application data folder.”

And before I did what was suggested, I attached a screenshot of what he suggested in an email back and wrote “Just to be sure, I’ve attached a screenshot of where you directed me inside my file system, and what you think I should delete. I’ve learned the hard way to be cautious about deleting so much information. So, I wanted to be sure. If after you see the attachment, you still suggest I delete everything, I will.”

Then you’ve been a victim of great incompetence. The various content and presets folders found under the main Steinberg folder will not regenerate. Only the content you immediately see after clicking the “Cubase application data folder” in the start menu will normally be necessary to move (and again, not delete) for regeneration.

/A

Thankfully, the folders were still in the Recycle Bin. So, I put them back where I was told to delete them and the problem is solved.

I originally contacted them because I was getting crashes about once every 8 hours. Is that a lot?

I really don’t know what to do. I want a crash free program, but at this point I can live with one every 8 hours if I can’t trust the support I’m going to get.

Thanks for your feedback.

Frank

The defaults.xml file seems to be the file that solves most of the problems solvable by this procedure so I suggest you start by moving that one away. Run Cubase, work for more than eight hours (:D) and see if your problem goes away. If not, you can move the old file back. If it is then you leave the new one but you have to remake all your preference settings inside of Cubase.

A crash is a crash and if it’s eight hours or ten minutes in between matters less. I also get occational crashes but I’m mostly aware of what’s causing them. Have you had a look at your memory usage after a couple of hours work to see how much is used by Cubase? Running 32 or 64 bit Cubase?

What kind of crash are you having? Is Cubase trowing an error, or are you getting a “program has stopped responding” from Windows? Complete system freeze? Anything in the Cubase error log?

Have you done any other troubleshooting except the preferences?

/A

Thanks for your replies and help TwinOak.

I’m running Cubase 32 bit.

My crashes come while I’m mixing. So, it it mostly when I’m loading plugins, Virtual Instrument etc. and working with them. I get the message “A serious problem has occurred”. So, I save the problem, it makes a backup project and I start again. I don’t turn off my plugins or Virtual instruments when I start up again-and run for another extensive period. So, I don’t think it’s a CPU or RAM issue and my meters aren’t registering a problem there.

I’ll check out the " defaults.xml" information/situation. I’m not sure the history behind it and Tech Support didn’t mention it.

Thanks again for your help!

Frank