MediaBay driving Midi channel?

Hi All,

I have a slew of newly purchased midi beats that I want to use to drive my battery / Kontact drums. The mediabay seems like a really nice way to do that, but the midi output options about the little preview area at the bottom lists my project mix midi ports, the soundblaster midi ports and the microsoft GM wavetable…

On my last machine, which is an XP machine (I’m running on Windoze 7 64 bit now), I used a neat tool called midi-yoke to essentially create a software midi in/out ports, that I could have used in this case to drive the midi output from the midi bay to the sw midi port, then connect that sw midi port to a midi channel on a track with my battery VST on it…

I’m trying to sort out the new “midi-ox” is it’s dazzling array of midi options, but until then, I was wondering if I was missing something more obvious with the media bay… Is there a way in cubase to create software midi ports?

The midi device manager wants to hook up to midi devices it already knows about… Can’t seem to find anything in setup or preferences… Any hints appreciated…

Why not just load Battery and run your beats from a MIDI track?

Why not just load Battery and run your beats from a MIDI track?

Once I’ve selected the midi tracks I like, yes, that’s what I do…

But because I have thousands of loops and each loop is a midi file that I need to file->import (which takes several key clicks) or drag and drop onto my track (which is what I do now) and then reset my cursor and play them… Each of these means a lot of keyboard work and 10 extra seconds just to explore some midi files… And I find it useful to hear the midi loop with the actual drum set I might be using (before modifying from therE)…

MediaBay has a nice auto play feature, and it plays the piano on my secondary sound card via it’s midi input, but I’m can’t quite figure out how to at least change it to the gm drum kit… And it drives it’s midi out out to system defined midi ports… And once there’s a midi port to drive out from media bay, I should be able to hook it back into battery/kontact/groove agent…

I’m sorting out Midi-Yoke so I’ll just do that… But this seems a bit obvious… Or at least having a midi player / explorer as a instrument to drive a midi track does…

I’ll let you all know what I sort out…

I couldn’t figure out how to get midi-yoke to work (even after defining in/out midi ports, etc) and since utility itself looks years old, I poked around some more…

I found “LoopBe1” which is free for non-commercial users, installed and works perfectly… In the mediabay in the preview windows I select “LoopBe1 Internal Midi”, then on my instrument track with battery hooked up and the midi input changed to “LoopBe1 Internal Midi”, the midi loops now drive the nice jazz kit and abby road drums as they should… Stellar!!

Here’s the link if anyone else thinks this would be useful