Melodyne ARA does not update Cubase waveform images

Hi there :sunglasses:!

I’m editing some clips with the ARA extension of Melodyne 5 Studio activated, making some time adjustments to blobs here and there, but I can’t see the changes reflected in the waveforms of the clips.

I thought Cubase would reflect Melodyne’s changes in real time. Am I misunderstanding the way Melodyne 5 Studio ARA should work in Cubase 12?

Kind regards.

While you are actively editing in Melodyne it isn’t really editing the Audio file you are using in Cubase. Rather it creates a copy of the file and does its magic on that. However once you have made some edits you can use Audio>Audio Extensions>Make Extension Permanent and Cubase will swap in the Melodyne file which will now show the changes in the Waveform Display.

Basically Cubase only updates the display when it is in control of the Audio File. When Melodyne is in control the display isn’t updated.

2 Likes

Hi @raino, thanks for your answer :smile:.

I suspected that I was wrong about this point of the ARA implementation, but it’s a bit confusing because the Cubase 12 manual says the following:

“If you activate an extension for audio events or audio tracks, you can instantly edit the audio events in the Editor in the lower zone of the Project window. All editing that you perform is automatically rendered into the original file, and bouncing audio events to permanently apply the edits is not necessary. As a consequence, you can apply event fades and envelopes as well as warp edits on the edited events. In addition, the audio input for audio events remains in the buffer memory.”

It’s like it should also display waveform changes in real time, don’t you think?

Anyway, it would be very useful to see the changes while you’re editing. I think ARA developers like Steinberg and Celemony should find a way to implement this.

Kind regards.

I may have old info - they have been tweaking the ARA integration.

Where in the manual did you find that? It does imply you should see the changes. I wonder if it might just be a situation where the screen doesn’t get repainted to show the new image. What happens if you hide the Window and then re-show it?

1 Like

Nevermind. Turns out searching for entire sentences makes it easy to find stuff in a PDF. It’s on pg. 656 of the C12 manual.

The section you quoted could be a bit more clear. It seems to only be referring to the display in the Editor Window. And by “Editor” they mean the GUI for Melodyne, SpectraLayers etc. Read the Limitations section that follows.

1 Like

Yes it can be difficult sometimes to make everything in the same program. My solution fot that (maybe you wont like it but …) to get 0 problems like that I used to close Cubase 12 and open Melodyne. Then I do the tuning and all the work I export it in the right folder, then open Cubase and import it . This way I never had any problems but maybe it’s longer but it works all the time. Good luck anyway

1 Like

Oh, I see. They should be a little more clear with this I think.

Thanks for the update @raino. I hope that the option to have synchronized both applications displayed waveforms can be implemented at some point.

Kind regards.

Thanks for your answer @Modest-Expert :sunglasses:.

It’s a great solution, but I’d rather use ARA as intended. For my workflow it’s better this way. Anyway, it would be helpful for me to see the original waveforms changing in real time in the Cubase arrangements window. I hope that the development depts at Steinberg and Celemony can achieve this in next updates.

Regards.

Yep I agree
I dont use melodyne for pitch; Im kranky old guy…if they cant sing, then go elsewhere lol
I do use it extensively instead of deessing and also spot amplitude fixes/level macro for vox…amazing

For applying eg amplitude stuff its pretty irritating tbh. It must operate as ara2 for it to be effective in a spontaneous workflow…I def only clean up and I dont want to spend 15mins editing, rather just use plugins and clip gain in that case (and just put the esses etc on separate track using spectral layers)

Cheers