Merged EuCon automation data finally working?!

Yes - if you set the CC Automation record to Automation Data, then the MC Mix picks it up fine. If you edit the data in any way you’d edit data in a lane, the Euphonix will follow, or drop into record to overdub etc. The only thing I can’t make work is if you want to use the MIDI parts instead of the automation lane.

Crohde - thanks for checking. If you can bear one more question / test - are you set in AUTOMATION DATA in the CC automation setup page? If so can you try it with MIDI PART instead and see if it breaks it? I’m working OK now in automation mode ONLY.

(will amend the OP to bring folks up to speed)

Hi folks,

Here are some clarifications:

Quick Control with CC 1 attached

• is for the automation track. Besides the possibility to write the automation data with an encoder/fader, one could also write this in the automation lane with a pencil tool. Note that, if there’s already a MIDI CC1 data curve around (in the piano roll view), one would also see a “secondary” curve appear in the Automation lane that one cannot modify directly, the secondary curve indicates the end result that the users would experience, namely the fusion of the two data (original MIDI cc1 and its automation counterpart). So, this secondary curve will change accordingly with the automation curve as well as the MIDI CC1 data based on the fusion mode selected in the Setup panel “CC Automation Setup”. For more details on this fusion style and impact, you would have to refer to the manual.
  • To reflect the written auto-data on the surface, one would need to at least arm the “Read” button for that. Note that this applies to the written/drawn automation curve only, not the original MIDI CC1 data

MIDI CC1 in the piano roll

• This curve can be edited independently from the automation curve, note that it is totally a different type of data of the MIDI world, which can be “automated” with a MIDI device, in this case, the modulation wheel. So, in case you are writing the data with a MIDI modulation wheel, this would only change the MIDI CC1, but not the automation curve. (Unless there’s a cross merge function in the setup, which is not known to me, so you have to refer to manual in detail as I mentioned earlier)
  • Again, one would also see a secondary curve here in the piano roll view if some automation has been recorded in the same time frame earlier. This secondary curve is the same one described above, which indicates the end result of the two. (and cannot be drawn and changed directly)

Hope this info clarifies things a bit. :wink:

cheers
SMing

Thanks SMing, missed your post until now!

I’m returning to this again as the automation lanes thing isn’t really working out here - its way too cumbersome to try to integrate this with piano roll or Edit In Place.

Carlos - there definitely appears to be a bug in the MIDI → CC automation setup. To repeat - I can merge the CC data to an automation lane, but merging to a mid part does not work, and it looks like it should. If that could be fixed, I think my problems would be over! Can you confirm that merging to midi part, via the quick controls, does not work?

Bump - thread title changed also.

Bump

Bump

I’ve been attacking this yet again. I don’t know if something has changed in 6.0.5, but finally I’ve been able to do what has eluded me for the past 9 months! Not sure if ANYONE else in the world is affected by this, but for future forum searchers - and myself when I’ve forgotten the magic formula - here is how to make CC1 modwheel respond in tandem with CC1 on Quick Controls connected via EuCon to an Artist Mix… and have it as data that can be displayed in the key editor. Here goes:

1. Select Midi / CC Automation Setup

2. Record Destination on conflict (Global) - Automation Track

3. Automation Merge Mode (global) - Modulation

4. Enable Automation read and write on the midi track

5. Select a Quick Control to be cc1

…and that’s it. Either this didn’t work for me before, or there was a critical missing step somewhere. It’s also slightly odd - selecting “automation track” and not “midi part”, and this means you can’t manually edit points etc. However, you CAN see the data, as one data stream, in the key editor, and modify the data with your EuCon fader, which to my mind is 100x better anyway. Perhaps more of a pain is you can’t easily shift those points - if you move a chord, say, and want its automation data to go with it, you’d need to make that a separate clip, and drag it in the project window. The other alternative to do something specific is to expand that automation lane in the project window, and edit it there. Not ideal, but liveable with, I think - I don’t think I’d do it that often.

9 months that took! I need to use it in anger to be sure it behaves reliably, but it’s looking good. Indeed, moving the modwheel up and down instantly moves the Euphonix fader in tandem with it, which is great. Feels like a breakthrough… exhausted but relieved…

So now that you got this figured out do you think its worth the hassle and expense for the unit? Can the artist MIX do this to or just the artist control?

Auto select controllers. Would that allow you to move the automation data now?

Does it show up in the key editor as CC1 data? If I draw new CC1 data in that view, the fader isn’t gonna move right, because its only reading the QC’s data, correct? So I have to edit the QC data in the automation lane…

I’m using the Mix - so that definitely does it! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what your 2nd question means?

If you follow my steps above, it WILL show up in the key editor - the data is properly merged and treated as one. Now, I’ve just tried drawing in the key editor - never even tried before, as I always perfer using a modwheel or fader for this. I can’t actually do it though - just produces a light grey curve. I’m using the pencil tool - I’ve tried adding an ALT modifier, but nada. So don’t know what’s going on there - perhaps it’s a side-effect of this merged automation mode.

To the general point - yes, controlling midi CCs with motorized faders is terrific, and I don’t know of anything else that does it. I’m still not really loving Cubase generally though, I have to say - CPU issues with eLicenser stuff, unacknowledged bugs that constantly interrupt my workflow - http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21746&sid=1c385cfffd1cbb3d3c722a590f136df4 - many other workflow gripes. So… hard to answer. If you love Cubase, then the MC Mix really makes sense. If you don’t… much tougher call.

I was,referring to the key command auto select controllers. Its a button on the menu in the key editor vut you can automate it with a key command. This allows you to copy the automation and move it along with the notes at the same time

Oh, got ya. Just tried it and you are correct - it does not move the cc data when enabled, sadly. Still some limitations even with this method then.

The ultimate solution here is just to have a mode that treats mapped CC data as real CC data.

Hows the mc mix working out? Im narrowing in on the jl cooper fader master pro vs mc mix. If the midi motorization on the eucon is spotty ill opt for the jl cooper.