Mess of (resonating) notes after MIDI import (iPad)

I have only recently started using Dorico for iPad and now I have my first major problem. When I import a MIDI file with a guitar accompaniment pattern, I get a mess of notes:

It should actually look as shown in bars 2 and 3. However, as the guitar strings continue to resonate until the chord is changed, most of the MIDI notes are naturally longer than they should be in the score. In addition, Dorico automatically distributes the notes over two voices, although only one voice would make sense here. Unfortunately, requantizing does not help here. As you can see, I did manage to achieve the correct display in the first two bars using the MIDI editor in locked mode. But this was very time-consuming, as each note has a different length. Is there a simpler solution that I simply overlooked as a beginner?

MIDI is just a list of “note on, note off” instructions. If that’s how long the notes are, that’s what you’ll get.

It might be possible to shorten every note to an eighth. Try selecting everything and press 5. Though the overlapping might interfere.

Where did the MIDI come from?

The MIDI file comes from Chordbot. But that doesn’t really matter, because the length of the MIDI notes is completely correct. This means that even if I had recorded it myself, it would look almost the same, as this is the only way to make a guitar arpeggio sound halfway realistic. It’s also no problem to convert all notes into eighth notes with one click. But then the playback sounds horrible and since I’m not a professional musician, I’m dependent on correct acoustic feedback.

It should be possible to get a note that keeps resonating after its duration has finished (in the style of a piano sustain pedal) in playback.

So, I’d fix the notation first, then get the ‘held’ playback afterwards.

If Ben’s suggestion works, go for it first. Otherwise…

My suggestion @Troy_I (and welcome to the forum) is to select the garbled measures and filter for top note in the edit menu. Copy that and paste it to a clean area for editing. In some places you will likely have to add a voice 2 note. When you are satisfied with the look, copy/paste it back on top of the garbled notes where it belongs.

If you need the sustained sound, apply a Ped. notation where needed and then hide the Ped. markings.

@benwiggy @Derrek
Thank you both very much for your quick help! It’s almost working now, but the last note (I highlighted a few of them) of each bar gets still chopped off. The sustain pedal always ends exactly before the first note of each bar. Do you have any suggestions what I could do?

How long do you want the final notes of each measure to hold into the next measure?

Perhaps this is something better handled by reverb, although I admit that is not the ideal solution.

It shouldn’t hold into the next measure at all. But I have now found out the reason for what happened. The note length got corrupted. Although I have only selected all the notes in the write editor and changed them to one-eighth length. :thinking:

1 Like

It seems to me that this is a software bug. Is there a list of known bugs for iPad?

What is the bug?

Can you provide a list of reproducible steps to trigger it?

Also, the last note of each bar gets cut off because there’s a new Pedal marking in the next bar. That’s the equivalent of raising and lowering the pedal on the piano.

@benwiggy
If you look at the screenshot with the piano rolls on the right, you’ll understand what I mean. I simply selected all the notes and pressed 5. Some of the altered notes are not eighth notes, but only one tick long instead.

So, the notes are correct, but the Played Duration is very short on some?

Don’t know why, but you can reset that easy enough with Play > Reset Playback Overrides.

2 Likes

Great, it works now! Thank you! :pray: :smiley:
But this command seems to be very well hidden in the iPad version. At least I can’t find it in the control panel or in the instructions. However, I have solved the problem by defining a keyboard shortcut for it.

You could also try re-quantizing your notes.

@Janus
That was the very first thing I tried. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. But I’m actually quite happy with the workaround by Ben and Derrek.