METADATA, METADATA, METADATA

Recorded my project professionally, mixed professionally and mastered professionally …now do i have to go to a higher price replication to get metadata to show up when people pop my cd into their cars?
By the way CD Text does at least work in my car, but album art, etc forget it

Just when I think I have it…boom, it doesn’t work. There’s something I’m not getting or theres something no one is saying. Is metadata in Wavelabs basically an exercise in futility or what

It should be as simple as typing information is some fields, uploading album art and voila but that’s not the case

In audio montage, edit metadata applies globally to all the tracks…why?
Even when I select one single track, edit metadata enter song title, etc, etc when I click on the next song its the same data I just entered…why?

In audio file, meta data doesn’t seem to stay when I import them into a montage
For some odd reasons a couple of audio files do not allow metadata editing…all the files are wave, same bit, mastered al the same
Will the picture we put in metadata show up anywhere at any time on any device or is it a total waste of time to expect wave labs meta data to do what need to be done to get all the information on a cd that needs to be there project professionalism or are we at the mercy of Gracenote and All Music

Thanks guys I’m just a little exasperated with this

We are at the mercy of Gracenote etc.

Actually, the way things are looking at the moment, with Apple planning to phase out downloads soon, for example, I wonder how important this stuff will be in two years’ time.

with Apple planning to phase out downloads soon

Where did you see this?

Not sure what you’re expecting, but you have to differentiate between metadata and CD-Text. The latter is part of the extended physical CD spec and this data is actually written on a physical CD if you choose to burn one, or in the DDP that’s created. BTW, there’s never album art in CD-Text, and in WL you have to enter CD-Text separately. This CD-Text can only be read by players that are built to do so. NOT among them: Windows Media Player, Apple iTunes and many more.

This is a tricky area. I usually refer people to this page:

It’s not hard to have a metadata preset in a WaveLab montage so that for each new montage, you enter the all the info one time as CD-Text and then of course this info is present on any DDP renders or burned CDs, but then this info can be automatically pushed to ID3v2 metadata so that any rendered WAV or mp3 files contain all the metadata you would like including artwork.

I think WaveLab is the best mastering DAW for metadata entry but the problem lies down the line. CDs and DDP can’t contain artwork, most consumer apps can’t read metadata in WAV files (only mp3 or AAC), and overall it’s more complicated than it should be.

Wow as I expected
Thanks

Thanks

I do realize CD Text is separate from Metadata, but trying to figure out how to get the artwork that Wavellab allows you to put in metadata onto a cd so cd players can read it is the problem

Hi PG …

I was actually told about this a while back by a certain label. But it is now being widely reported.

Apple apparently deny this officially, so perhaps I should have said “with download sales falling and rumored plans to phase them out”.

Here is a current article:

But streaming services will still want metadata won’t they? How they’ll receive it may or may not change. I don’t know their methods but from what I can tell they probably don’t source any metadata from files that come out of the mastering studio, except ISRC on DDP, or CD Text if applicable.

But I don’t know for sure, or whether it’s different for different digital distributors.

Maybe metadata in master files will see more use, rather than less, but the mastering studio not necessarily being relied on to do all that with incomplete information.

You can’t put artwork on an audio CD. If your car is displaying artwork, it is probably pre-loaded with some popular albums but would need internet access to receive any new album info and updates.

[/quote]

You can’t put artwork on an audio CD. If your car is displaying artwork, it is probably pre-loaded with some popular albums but would need internet access to receive any new album info and updates.
[/quote]

Quite a lot of late model cars seem to access Gracenote (without you realizing). Once your smart phone syncs with the car all bets, it seems, are off. I have had an “interesting” experience with this a year or so back.

But streaming services will still want metadata won’t they? How they’ll receive it may or may not change. I don’t know their methods but from what I can tell they probably don’t source any metadata from files that come out of the mastering studio, except ISRC on DDP, or CD Text if applicable.

But I don’t know for sure, or whether it’s different for different digital distributors.

Maybe metadata in master files will see more use, rather than less, but the mastering studio not necessarily being relied on to do all that with incomplete information.
[/quote]

I believe that at present you need to enter that metadata separately … at the time of upload. As far as I am aware, iTunes Producer (at least the last time I saw it in use) will not read anything. You need to re-enter all details and upload artwork. There are probably some really good reasons for this, but I know it drives some catalogue managers crazy.

I agree. I don’t know of anyone that requires metadata in wav files from mastering, even ISRC, or even asks for it yet. Somebody else is going to do the encoding to MP3, AAC, and Ogg, and somebody else is going to do the metadata anyway. But that might change if they put in systems to do it differently, and other mastering programs add capability.

But DDP is a different thing.