Metro-like interface

If Cubase where to adapt a metro like interface in it’s future versions looking like a mobile phone app
with all this sliding and comet-tailing interface will this be something that people would like or not

NO :exclamation:
NO :exclamation:
and more NO :exclamation:

I want a desktop, not a mobile phone! :imp:

When I saw the metro interface planned for Windows 8, I was repulsed. Fortunately, it appears as if you can turn it off.

IMHO eyecandy like that does not belong in professional software and I don’t see how a metro-like interface would benefit workflow or visibility (other than everything being larger *).

*Interfaces like metro are meant for touchscreen-enabled computers. The control elements have to be larger because a finger doesn’t have the same precision as a mouse pointer. I can see a benefit for those using Cubase on a touchscreen, but how many do that?

I would also think that having an interface like that would be detrimental to efficient resource usage. It takes more resources to run the newer Windows interfaces (Luna, Aero, and Metro) and their associated animations and shininess than the older interface. If Cubase were to adopt a similar interface, less memory and processor cycles could be used for actual audio processing.

Summing up:
A professional software’s interface should focus on workflow and performance and not eyecandy.

+1 Well spoken!

Throughout the ages and evolution of information technology and music production, you can always know one thing is assured…

Steinberg will never sell out the functions of its’ software to anyone as there is too much vested interest from professionals in the real world of music production, need I hint: the Nuendo Live offering.

I choose applications that are pleasing to the eye. If i find it unappealing, i won’t give it a second chance.

Carey

So may one assume that you are in love with the windowing model of Steinberg applications (excluding wavelab)?

I consider “pleasing to the eye” and “eye candy” to be two different things.
For example, too small a font or too bright a color can strain the eyes and make it difficult to see.
I’ll agree that if a layout of a program isn’t logical and neat, it’s a turn-off from that program.

However, frivolous animations and shiny buttons (what I call “eye candy”), that are not implemented in the API of the programming language, say (to me) that the software team is more interested in the form of the product, not the function. The time spent to implement the eye candy (beyond the neat and logical layout) could be better spent improving something else.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a little eye candy here and there as well (I liked Luna, and now Aero), but it has its place.
Eye candy in a professional software should never get more focus than workflow and performance.

When you really look at it, eye candy is a marketing device, nothing more.

+1 but can synths considered “ear candy” in this regard?

That depends.
The modern DAW market expects basic sounds to be included with the DAW software.
Seems to me this is more of a response to market demand than “ear candy”.

Also, there is nothing saying that the team working on the core software and the team working on the synth are one and the same. If they were (for certain) the same team, then my argument would apply.

I don’t mind it. I’d prefer a docking system, like Halion 4, as discussed in another thread.

Also, i’m on Mac, so the Windows MDI issue is of no consequence for me.

Carey

Very true and unlikely that those in sequencer dept. are the same dudes (or dudettes) on the VST.

Reason being an SDK is supplied for the additional “fluff” while core DAW functions come via API and IDE toolkits.

Personally I only want to be able to dock the Transport bar somewhere above the infoline and use it as a button bar.

I believe if this was possible it would pave the way for other docking functions since obviously the capability is there in other steiny apps/plugins so maybe it’s a matter of time.

True, but this may soon change with the MountainLion OS (OS 10.8) release
slated for this summer.

IMHO
like it or not, major parts of the pad/cellphone UI
are slowly making their way to the desktop on both platforms.

At least with Windows/Metro, you can change back. (for now)

{’-’}

How many times have we spent time re-learning what we already knew?

It seems that every time a new version of Windows is released, we find more examples of menu structures, commands, buttons and shortcuts moving place, and getting pointlessly renamed by Microsoft.

…and don’t get me started on those damned ‘ribbons’ in later versions of Microsoft Office.

…and developers that don’t implement hover-over text tips.

…icons that all look too similar, without text labels.

…developers that insist on using proprietary libraries rather than standard APi calls. Leads to non-standard user interfaces.

Metro my arse. It’s just eye candy and toys.

+1

+1

Aaagh! I’d managed to forget them and now you’ve reminded me. :wink:

Why isn’t Cubase on all those little “smart” phones already?

Microsoft is just trying to compete with the rest of the gadget industry.

Have you seen people with an iPhone/Android actually doing professional work, and I am not referring to making phone calls, or making a note, but work, like drawing up a draft or a document, programming, etc.? Most of what I have seen in this regard is, when they try do part of their work (mainly to justify using it), they also end up wasting more time, doing other things not work related.

Aloha E,
I use to carry around a pencil and bits o’ manuscript paper
in case a random idea struck.

But now with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSA8yIn7n8Q

It’s not perfect but it will take acuuratly take down ideas while away from the 'puter.
While at the beach,in a cab/bus etc.

{’-’}

Yeah, note at the compromize of using that tiny little screen. And I know, mate, that’s what you said, it’s not perfect. But that was my point though… one cannot (resonably) do the actual work but scraps and collections. Sort of like a pocket recorder (I use those a lot, for lyrics, melodies, sound samples, etc.), on which it would be a pain to try and do a complete song with multiple tracks.

A Samsung Galaxy type pad with Windows 8 looks interesting though, since the screen is adequatly sized for portability, and then you can dock it when you get home, use a much larger screen (or two), keyboard and mouse, and continue your work. I doubt I would want to use it without those peripherals for an entire project. Of course you CAN, but that doesn’t make it more convenient than a couple of large screens and the rest of the convenience package. I will definitely get a thing like this when Windows 8 comes out.