Metronome issues

Suddenly I’m having problems with metronome in Artist 9.5, it worked fine until now. Using Midi just a monotonous piano key sound which is out of step with the music. When I try to use Audio click, either with Steinberg sounds or with custom audio there is nothing to be heard. Funny thing is that it’s on some projects and not others. I’ve hunted high and low but can’t find what’s causing it. I’ve wasted about a day on this and I’m not a dummy, having had Cubase since first midi version in 1990.
When I look for help a lot of the items refer to Cubase 9.5 (eg mentioning, as possible cause, control room - which isn’t included in Artist) and I’m certainly not going to spend money to upgrade just to get the metronome working.
I can’t understand why the Cubase software has become so complex and ungainly, Nuendo 4.3 was such a simple and elegantly clear program to use, that was ten years ago but we seem to have gone backwards in some ways.
Another thing: when I tried to download the full package to reinstall, the Install Assistant just kept maxing out and stopping. I had to restart about 50 times to complete the download. These things are tiresome, stop me from creating and make me think of changing my DAW software. Hope at least the download issue can be fixed for others, for my metronome I’ve begun using Stylus!

This is the third time you’ve posted this exact same thread:

Are your notifications not working?