Metronome! Record button! :-)

(in the last Discover Dorico preview of the upcoming update).
Feels like Christmas may come early (very excited!)

• D.D.

I hear ya. And trills will play back… jazz hands…

There’s support for jazz hands? Excellent.

Trills with bracketed auxiliary notes will be very welcome! In a score I copied recently I had to notate most trills as tremolos because a lot of the auxiliary notes weren’t a second above.

But: when did ‘alla coda’ become ‘al coda’? … Hmm, Google says it’s quite common. How did that happen? Can we at least have ‘alla coda’ as an option?

Kim, I’ve never seen “alla coda”: where does that convention come from? We do have support for the more classically-orientated versions of the repeat instructions, as outlined by Gould on pages 238 following of “Behind Bars”, e.g. things like “D.C. al Ø e poi la Coda” (where Ø is actually a coda sign), but she doesn’t talk about a formulation that includes “alla coda”, and, as I say, I’ve never seen it either.

Musicians don’t know Italian - they just steal a few words from it.

And when a composer did know Italian (like Handel, for example) some of his markings were spectacularly misunderstood by those who didn’t - as in “WTF does “largo e allegro” mean as a tempo marking???” (Hint: neither “largo” nor “allegro” has anything do with tempo, in Italian.)

If I have seen ‘al coda’ it has somehow never registered, but it leapt out at me on the screen during John’s talk. I suppose it has to be added to the rest of the pretend Italian musicians use, like ‘glissando’ and ‘molto espressione’.

As someone who actually speaks some Italian, it always bothers me when musical terminology ignores elementary grammar. Even if it’s from Elaine Gould herself establishing the standard. I know, Italian is the Pig Latin of music, and some expressions in a musical context are not even common in modern Italian. But, as I do know the difference between masculine and feminine words, I can’t get myself to violate it. A viola playing alone is una viola sola, and if there’s two of those, due viole sole. It’s not a bad thing if musicians would realise Italian words in music have an origin and an original meaning.
Another pet peeve: ‘senza vibrato’ (“without shaken”?). Argh! ‘Non vibrato’, please, it’s a verb. (At least, Dorico allows both).
On a sidenote: I hesitate to rely on Google search results when I’m in doubt about spelling… :wink:

Yes, however much of music terminology comes from 18th-century Napolitan’. So comparisons with modern ‘standard’ Italian … Nun c’ pensá.!

Oh, then we’ve all been playing Handel’s Largo too slow? :astonished:

Well, if it was meant to be slow, it would have been Handel’s Adagio :wink:

That was too easy :wink:

(like Handel’s Adagio)

“Al Coda” is meant as “Al segno della Coda”, or “To the Coda symbol”. So, gender concordance is with “segno” (masculine noun), and not with “coda” (feminine noun).

Paolo

Actually, in this case “vibrato” is the “effect of vibrato”, “vibrato” being a noun derived from a past participle (I don’t know how to translate the linguistic definition of “sostantivo deverbalizzato”). So, “senza vibrato” would be grammatically correct in Italian. I don’t know, however, if it is an expression coming from the Baroque, or a more modern one.

“Largo”, as a derived of the Latin “largus”, is something more than a tempo indication. It means slow, but also fat, large, heavy. In Baroque Spanish, if I’m not mistaken, “largo” also means prolix, verbose, taking time to express. “Largo” would therefore means something moving with a slow, majestic pace, with no hurry at all. The most baroque tempo we can imagine.

Paolo

Back to topic: will there be a record function as an additional note input method in the upcoming update ?

Yes – check out the latest Dorico Hangout on YouTube.

I have seen the latest Dorico hangout but John didn’t use or mention this function during the session.

Look in the top right corner of the latest hangout video. The clue is pretty obvious, I think:

Yes for sure, I had my glasses on :wink: But these graphics alone doesn’t tell for sure that the function will be ready for showtime in the coming update. So I hoped eventually for a comment from official side.

I can’t honestly imagine that the Dorico development team would knowingly put out a video on their official channel, displaying universally-recognised icons, unless those icons will do what they’re supposed to do in the next release build.