Metronome! Record button! :-)

Your memory is spot on. :slight_smile:
Plus, I don’t think it’s quite ready to show yet. Paul mentioned a few days ago that they were working on it now.

That’s correct - the basics are in but there’s still a few things we need to do to finish it off.

Grazie Paolo, I stand corrected. Time to brush up my Italian…

The record button is an exciting addition for sure, but the word that really caught my attention was ‘Quantize’…If you blinked you’d have missed it, but I’m sure Jon said it. Real time recording is wonderful, but being able to manipulate the midi via a quantize function is very exciting to me, and another step towards more sequencer type functionality for composing. I hope I wasn’t dreaming…I haven’t gone back and checked. In any case, looking forward to the next update and all the new things it has to offer.

Thank you for the clarification. Great news!

Our goal is that you’ll rarely need to quantize things manually because we try to automatically detect tuplets and complex rhythms, and then try to infer what you actually intended (eg by filling in tasks to remove extraneous rests).

Sorry to hijack this thread but while we’re talking about Coda systems here: I couldn’t spot any hint on “con/senza rep.” text/functionality in the demo video; is this included? I mean something like “D.S. al Coda con rep.”.

You can choose whether or not repeats should be played after a jump via Playback Options, but it doesn’t affect the text as it appears in the score itself.

I am sure you bring this function to perfection, as everything else in Dorico. Looking forward to this update!

I’m less concerned about playback and more about the actual text. So, I take it there is an option to show “con/senza rep.” automatically as part of a D.S. text item?

No, there is not, but it’s easy for you to add this yourself because the text of repeat markers can be overridden by way of properties.

Regarding quantize: I hope there will be two parallel quantize systems: a visual one, an event one. The visual one should smooth out any irregularity, to produce a perfect-to-read score (corresponding to the Notated Durations). The event one should preserve the ‘human-feel’ of the performance (and may be shown in the Played Duration). Additionally, Cubase and Logic allow for setting the ‘strength’ of quantize, making the Played Durations nearer to the Notated Duration, but without removing all the ‘human-feel’ of the recorded performance.

I would also love a way of recording at a speed reduced by a particular percentage. Lowering the Tempo value would not work, because a piece can have some different Tempo values, that might even change at each quarter. A percentage reduction in recording speed would preserse the Tempo Map, allowing for more exact input of recorded events.

Paolo

All great suggestions.

Dorico does this, though it’s the other way around. All notes are represented by their notated position (ie quantized). However they also remember how the note was played in terms of the position relative to the quantized position. Midi import or recording will quantize the notes but retain these offsets so that it should play back as you recorded it.

Will there be an easy way to override tempo marks and things like rits for input? I’d like to input to a click at one speed.

It’s definitely on our list, as it’s requested a lot, but we can’t make any promises about whether we’ll have time to get it into the next release.

I think the above IS important - not only being able to retain the player’s actual recorded timing values that were played into
Dorico in real time, but then afterwards being able to tweak them in order to make them slightly more metronomic if needed, while retaining a “human” feel (by changing the playback quantize percentage “strength” to whatever is selected/acted upon; or by using the equivalent of Logic’s “Smart Quantize”, which (as the poster suggests) preserves the human feel of - for example - a piano part, or something with grace notes or a piano gliss, while intelligently quantizing the rest.)

Having said all of this, if the approach (at least to start) is going to be to preserve the recorded timing to retain a more human feel, then having a tempo slider as in Sibelius (or the equivalent of Logic’s Varispeed) would be extremely helpful in quickly obtaining the best of both worlds. I might, for example, typically temporarily set the overall tempo to a much slower value, but then real-time record. The result is inherently timing that’s closer to the grid but that still retains more of a human feel when sped back up.

I noticed in the Hangout video that there also seems to be the option NOT to record controller data when recording MIDI in real-time (which means presumably that by default it IS recorded and presumably can be edited in the piano roll in Play Mode after the fact?) Presuming this is correct, it would also be great if there were a way to do a real-time pass over existing notes but recording ONLY controller data (ie. recording this data after the fact ALSO in real-time), while retaining the previouly recorded (or step-entered) notes.

My two cents, but I’m very much looking
forward to whatever you come up with and am sure it will also get more and more robust over time (as has been the case with all things Dorico!)

• D.D.

I love being able now to play into Dorico. Thanks for adding this feature. This should save considerable time.

I can easily quantize the notes to create an accurate printout but I cannot quantize the playback to fix my errors in recording. Is there a setting I missed to do this to avoid tedious editing? Choosing written notes in playback seems to only affect the display, not the actual playback.

Thanks

Thanks! That did it.