Microtonal Accidentals In Elements?

Hi Everyone,

I am a composer of Middle Eastern music and would like to purchase Dorico for it’s flexibility with microtonal accidentals. I usually write simple, one line pieces.

This is really the only need that I have, and I don’t need to have the midi sound microtonal. I just need to be able to use the accidentals, such as backwards flats and flats with a line through them.

Is there any way to do this in Elements? I really don’t want to have to shell out the big bucks for this one feature, when all the other aspects of the program are things I don’t need.

Hi @maraoud108,
Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:
Here you can check for the version comparison:

As I can see, the microtonal accidentals are supported only by Dorico Pro.
I don’t know if in the future they will make them available in Dorico Elements?!
Would be nice if they make such an improvement.

Greetings,
Thurisaz

Would it help if someone with Dorico Pro made template files with the tonality schemes that you need?

Thank you Ben Wiggy.

My sense is that I’ll need more flexibility than that, but I appreciate your help!

Yes, I’ve looked at this, and was wondering if someone had found a workaround.

Hi @maraoud108,
Well, the one mentioned by @benwiggy would be the best, otherwise
if you have access to another program like Sibelius, or Finale… you could export MusicXML and create microtonal music templates out of them.
I really do hope the team will extend a little bit the possibilities in Dorico Elements in order to meet the needs for the microtonal music. This will make Dorico more attractive in the Middle East, as well. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile: