Midi and Audio not in Sync

when I record a midi signal from my TD10 Drums and afterwards record audio from the midi signal - both signals are not at the same time. Midi always a bit earlier.

Why is that and is there a workaround ? I can´t remember having such problems.
I am using the Motu midi express 128

to be even more clear.

If I record the same signal in parallel as midi and audio, both events are in reality recorded with a delay. Mdi seems to be too early and playback is not together as one hit.

Try this:

Play a really long MIDI piece (maybe 10 Minutes), with MIDI and audio going in parallel to Cubase.

You said the MIDI is earlier than the audio. Is it early by the same amount at the beginning of the long piece as at the end?

If that’s the case, you can just nudge the MIDI forward by a certain amount with every recording and you’re golden. Someone in another thread suggested making a macro so that when you hit “stop” recording, it nudges.

But if the “earliness” varies, then there are a multitude of other possible reasons for the problem. You could start with reading this Solving MIDI Timing Problems while waiting for someone else to come along and help out.

It gets kind of crazy. Some people have even suggested you have to exit from Cubase for a while because keeping it up and running for long periods of time makes it go out of sync. I’m not smart enough to figure it all out, but much of it sounds like primitives smearing symbols on cave walls to keep evil spirits away.

Good luck -

What’s the MIDI in device going into your computer?

There are some old issues with MIDI timing in Windows, but mostly these should be ironed out with modern drivers.

Try the stuff from that sound on sound article above.

Yes, this issue with MIDI is very old, but there is still. I sent link to this Knowledge Base many times in last few weeks. Everytime, it helps. So, it still actual. :confused:

Best,

I have checked the two checkboxes “use sytem timestamp” for midi and direct music inputs - if this is what you mean. But it did not change my situation

I am working with a Motu midi express 128. I replaced my Midex8 since I went to 64bit.
Now, where a new 64 bit driver is also available for the Midex8 I am wondering if it would improve my problem when I reinstall the Midex8. Any view ???

I am working with a Motu midi express 128. I replaced my Midex8 since I went to 64bit.
Now, where a new 64 bit driver is also available for the Midex8 I am wondering if it would improve my problem when I reinstall the Midex8. Any view ???

You’re not alone, [MIDI notes recorded earlier than they sound].
Unfortunately no solution yet and tech support can’t reproduce the problem.

I can easily invite them to show it on my system since I am living in Hamburg. And I think I will - seems to be a more common problem

Let’s know how you get on.

BTW do you have a pickaxe, sledgehammer or a seige machine handy for gaining entrance to the castle? :mrgreen:

years ago - when I was still working with Logic (PC) Emagic had a bug with the installation program.
After I complained they asked me if they can visit me at home, I showed them the problem and 2 days later there was an update on the market. That was really a quick response :wink:

Musicsound - did you manage to fix your timing problem?