Midi CC not recorded using Quick controls

Hi everyone, hope you are doing ok guys. //// RESOLVED, SEE P.S. BELOW ////

I am learning the use of quick controls and the nuances between VST/Track ones.

My issue comes from the fact that I am not able to capture midi CC data in my recordings when activating any of those. E.g. I set-up QC in Device set up for my external midi cc, then everything looks fine and the overall system behaves great! However, I click on record, and no midi CC is captured, although they are sounding live great.

Anyone experienced this in the past? Anything that I may be doing wrong?

Stay safe and many thanks before hand
Victor

PS. Resolved by misohoza, thank you!.
There are some posts on similar issue, look for “Quick Controls Not Recording”

This is by design. When a midi cc of a particular midi device is used as quick control it is not passed through. It is used for that quick control. You can still record that as automation.

So instead of recording a midi cc you would be writing automation by moving the knob on your midi device.

1 Like

Reviving such an old thread, but was stuck with the same issue, with midi remote in place (two pages, the first fader, pan and cue sends on faders, and quick controls on page 2) I could control kontakt libraries real time but not record any cc on track (was using quick controls to control modulation, expression and breath). Then stumbled upon this fact, wich is quite disconcerting… I really want to record CC on midi track, having it all in one package, and deal with automation lanes on the audio side of things. So I have to let go of quick controls altogether, or only cc numbers in use (in case, CC1, 2, 11 and 23, it depends on the libraries)? The problem is there isn’t a way of using MIDI Remote to create and rec CC lanes with those CC’s, so I have to go to MIDI transform and replace the CC on my controller with those required. I’m not at the studio PC now, but can you guys tell me if using MIDI Remote also prevents those CC’s of being recorded onto MIDI tracks? For example, fader 1 on my controller is assigned CC11, does it mean I can’t record modulation data?

Hi, not sure if this would be of help since it’s not answering your final question, because I just don’t quite get it.
However, Kontakt supports host automation, so I don’t see why not just using the quick controls.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I didn’t get anywhere. Just that it’s a personal choice to make. (Warning: I’m not a good thinker)

So. CCs. If we consider CCs complementary data, fundamental to the execution - kind of how one would hugely appreciate it if they had legatos, staccatos, dynamics, instructions on expression etc on their part, then it seems paramount to have this data on the track. Period.

This means that one must first devise the part, and then connect MIDI CCs to the parameters of the plug-in that is tasked with playing the part in question. In this particular instance, no “automation” is needed, the parameters follow the CCs, which are “the instructions on the part” so to speak.

On the other hand, with the MIDI Remote, we forego our ability to use these “raw” instructions on the part, and we must write Automation instead. The part is just the events (the notes) and any automated parameter describes the part’s instructions.

Of course, we also have expression maps! So that we can enter articulations and dynamics in yet another way that looks strikingly similar to the previous ones, except this way is also somewhat different, in the sense that we are entering the same type of data in a different form, that might also translate to symbols in the score editor.

And there’s also the CC → Automation Setup that does conversions between the two.

In the end, I just do what feels most natural. Some projects I record CC from the modwheel, other projects I might be controlling the actual parameter with a fader through the MIDI remote.

I think multiple devices help, in the end.

Because that would mean creating automation lanes, and I really prefer CC data in MIDI tracks. But I have solved it! Well, not me, but Nico5 (can’t seem to link him here, but he’s the one to thank you for!), I just created two different MIDI setups in my hardware controller (it’s a Kurzweil PC88mx, with 4 assignable faders and 3 buttons, besides usual PB and MW), and gave different MIDI transmit channels to each setup. So, with one I have MIDI Remote capability, and with the other can pass and use/Record CC’s into MIDI!

1 Like

As I said in the previous reply, I got it working! Kudos to Nico5 who devised it!
In a nutshell:

• created two different MIDI setups in my hardware controller (It’s a Kurzweil PC88mx, besides all the buttons, PB, MW and stuff has 4 assignable faders and 3 assignable buttons), so in another keyboard it could be named Scene, or wahtever
  • assigned different MIDI transmit channels to these setups (one is all channel x, the other channel y)
  • alternating between the two, I can have full MIDI Remote capability (with all the controlable functions I had set up previously), or I can have MIDI CC’s directly in my MIDI tracks!
    I use mainly Cinematic Studio and Spitfire libraries, and of course I use the ArtConductor extraordinary Expression Maps (that was a huge time saver), but that is just part of the equation, and the ability to record live with my left hand controlling 3 faders in realtime is super intuitive! Now I can play and rec the CC’s I need (mainly CC1, 11, 2) straight in to the MIDI!
    So now I’m a happy camper!!! :slight_smile:
1 Like