Midi clips change the moment i move them

Not sure if this has been talked about, but i cant get my head around this.
I should state that I’m new to Cubase and still have a lot to learn.
I recorded a two bar midi clip in 11 Pro. Sounded perfect. I wanted to duplicate it and did this, but the duplicate sounds wrong. I tried a few times, even using cut and paste.
Even if I i move the original clip away from where it was recorded, it sounds wrong.
Now it seems it was to do with liner /music mode. I turned it off (cant remember if it was on or off, i didnt put it in the original state), and that fixed it.
I sort of get what those modes are for, and wondering if its because i was using a tempo track that varies slightly. I cant think of any other reason for this happening.

Hi,

Could you specify the “wrong-ness” of the duplicate event, please? What was wrong on it? Did the tempo change? Or something different.

Sorry, i should have said. Its the quantise thats changing. The flow of the notes are slightly different. I dont have AQ or Sanp on, and I’m not quantising the original clip. Although it changes anywhere other than the place it was recorded in, if i put it back its fine. I can record anywhere on the timeline and its fine, but cant move anything.

Hi,

Does the tempo change in the range, where the MIDI data are? Is the MIDI track in the Musical Time base? If yes, the MIDI data follow the Tempo track.

Yes. As i said, the temp track varies slightly through out the song, as its following a drum tack thats not perfectly in time.
I’m not sure what mode the midi track was in, but I’m guessing it was in musician mode to start with. I didn’t purposely turn that on though.
I figured it was to do with this, but cant get my head around how it works. I’m starting to get the idea though. It seems its something ill need to watch out for.
I think coming from Elements i need to get to grips with the difference time bases.

Hi,

Yes, if the MIDI track was in the Musical time base, then the data follow the project tempo. If you switch to the Linear timebase after, the the MIDI data don’t change. It just mean, it’s not going to follow the tempo in the time, when the track is in the Linear timebase.

The solution would be to delete the MIDI data and import it again to a MIDI track in the Linear timebase.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming what’s i thought. This was something i recorded, so maybe be musical mode was already on? Either way, ill keep an eye on it. Its only caught me out once, and while I managed to figure it out, i wasnt too sure why it was happening as i had snap etc off.

Hi,

If you record the track, the MIDI data are placed exactly at the time, where you record it. It doesn’t matter, if you use Musical or Linear timebase, for the recording data. But if you copy the data, then it does matter.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the reply. This is the only track ive used a variable tempo on so far so its good to know what i need to look out for if i do it again.