MIDI Control of Cubasis

HI,
does somebody know to which MIDI notes the DRUM Machines of Cubasis are responding to ? Because the way these samples are responding is a bit strange.The mapping of my MIDI controller’s pads (Arturia BSP) is “classic”, it goes from C1 to D#2 (36 to 51). First, the samples of the drum Machines are not arranged “in order”, I mean MIDI 36 plays the kick, the on 37 you jump to the Crash, then the clap, then a tom, and so on. Which is not dramatic, but not handy at all since you can remap them and there’s no MIDI learn. But more annoying, even if my mapping is classic, I can only play a maximum of 10 samples, among the 12 in these Drum Machines (in fact 24, since the samples of the alternative version of the machines can be played with Cubasis keyboard or edited in the midi editor). So I don’t mind mapping my BeatStep Pro differently, but guessing the MIDI note of the samples I can’t trigger might be a real pain…

I would also like to give my vote for prioritising midi controls for the app. I am a recent owner of Cubasis 3, but since this is already an extensive thread on the issue, I thought it better to write here.

It is very cumbersome to have to start recording, mute tracks, adjust volumes etc with the touchscreen, when all these controls are easily accessible from my midi controller. Even though I have the 12.9 inch iPad, screen real estate is still very valuable, when using DAWs and midi control would allow the mixer to be closed and I could still easily adjust volumes while having the maximum screen space for tracks.

Other then that, I think it is a very nice DAW for the iPad, but this basic functionality included in almost all other music production apps I own, is really bringing the experience down as a whole.

2 Likes

Sorry what? I’m new to Cubasis but not to bedroom recording on Cubase with my Mac Mini and M32 controller. I just assumed that I’d be able to do basic transport control and mixing with my controller on an iPad. That seems like a “duh” implementation in any DAW, but Steinberg wants me to reach over and touch my tiny screen constantly with my big, cludgy fingers to do these things? What a waste of money Cubasis was! Back to moving my Mac Mini to whichever room I feel like recording in, and using Cubase. I’d like to say I would switch to Logic to “punish” Steinberg for their oversight, but that wouldn’t make any sense, as Garageband also doesn’t offer transport control via midi controller.

I am using a Behringer X Touch with Cubasis 3.3. The Mackie implementation to support it with Cubasis is as yet imperfect, but it does give me scribble strips, motorized faders, transport control and many other functions.

I also use a KMI Softstep 2 midi pedal, and once I understood that certain features work better with midi notes than CC, I was able to midi learn start/stop and rewind.

The combination of the Softstep for control during tracking and the X Touch for mixing is quite a bit better than always going back to the iPad screen. Add a wireless mouse for certain operations and it’s pretty good.

As I’ve said many times in this forum, I would like to see track meters work and to have control over plug/in parameters (third party plug-ins, not just the currently supported Cubasis-included channel strip).

I would also love to see track meters and plugin control from the X-Touch.

Add another vote for hardware control

My vote too!

Give us track meters and enhanced control over plug-ins from a Mackie-compatible control surface.

Hi @bikersights,

Add another vote for hardware control

Cubasis includes MIDI Learn, Mackie Control (MCU) and HUI protocol support since the release of v3.3. Please learn more right here (and check out the available tutorial videos): What's New in Cubasis 3.5 | Steinberg

Hope that helps!

Stay well
& best wishes,
Lars

@LSlowak,

You know well that the Mackie and Midi control in 3.3, while a huge improvement, is incomplete.

The lack of support for track meters and control over plug-ins are real issues for anyone serious enough to integrate a control surface into their workflow.

Thanks,
Dov