MIDI Controller with Quick Controls - Channel wierdness

Was setting up my old M-Audio Axiom to send changes to BeatDesigner (via notes) and to an insert effect (via CC and QCs). Using MIDI Monitor to help track what was going on. One odd thing I noticed is that if I set each rotary encoder to a MIDI channel, different from the global channel, the behaviour in Cubase would be different.

For example: MIDI track set to channel 2, encoder set to global channel , Axiom global channel set to 2 = MIDI Monitor reports MIDI activity on the correct channel and CC, but the relative QC does not. If I set the encoder to channel 2 and set Axiom global channel to 1 now I get the QCs responding correctly, but no activity reported in MIDI Monitor.

Not a big deal as I am able to get the QCs responding and thus record my automation, but its a wierdness I dont understand, and I dont like not understanding things

thanks
Adam

Hi,

If you set MIDI Channel 2 on the MIDI track, it doesn’t mean, it receives on MIDI Channel 2. This is Output MIDI Channel. Every track always receives data at all MIDI Channels (if you don’t use Input Transformer to filter some MIDI Channels out).

Wow. How can I have used MIDI and Cubase for twenty years and not have known that. Thanks.

Still doesn’t explain why the same encoders will send CC message to either the midi monitor or the QCs, not both, even though all three (monitor, track QC, encoders) are set to the same midi channel

Thanks
Adam

Adam Mercado
Owner & Creative Idiot
Influxx Media Production

Moving Images. For Business

Hi,

If you use specific MIDI CC for the QC, this MIDI CC has been filtered out so it doesn’t pass to the MIDI track. Cubase is designed this way to make sure, you don’t control any plug-in parameter and send the MIDI CCs to the track at the same time (what doesn’t make sense to do so).

Aaaaah. That makes perfect sense now yu mention it. Very clever. It’s just not said anywhere in the documentation thus my confusion. Excellent thanks for clearing that up

Adam Mercado
Owner & Creative Idiot
Influxx Media Production

Moving Images. For Business