Midi Drum Tracks?

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding creating midi drum tracks. I have a friend who wants to have his drummer, who lives in another state, play the drum tracks to some original tunes of theirs. He would like the drummer to be able to play the drum tracks live but create all midi tracks for the kick, snare, toms, cymbals.

How would he go about this? I personally record live drums into my PC and go from there. But I’m not too savvy regarding creating individual midi drum tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

The only real way to do that is have him play an electronic kit and record the MIDI data. Taking a drum performance even spread out over 8 tracks or more and changing it to MIDI would be a nightmare.

Thanks for the help Wheels.

Couldn’t you just create the midi using Variaudio? That should do it…

Melodyne or Slate Trigger 2 would work also. Can’t remember off the top of my head if Waves Tune converts audio to MIDI as well but I’m pretty sure it does. Plenty of options. Personally I’d use Trigger as that’s one of its main purposes, it’s not just a replacement tool. You’d also get accurate velocity info as well, not to mention only generating a single fixed note of your choice.

Has to be track by track but you’d just instantiate one on each drum audio track you wanted to convert & adjust the threshold etc. to suit. Just route the MIDI output to a MIDI track or even direct to a VI. It’s not a nightmare, I do it all the time. HTH, good luck!

Nuendo’s own built-in audio to MIDI function has worked really well for me. I’ve mostly used it for replacing snares and kicks, but it does great on much more than that. I don’t think I’ve scratched the surface, really. I’m done with trigger replacement plugins and programs such as DrumaGog, etc, I see no reason to go outside Nuendo anymore.

Chewy