midi editor

hy, the midi editor is to hard to compose, i like the FL studio midi editor, its more simple and faster

To be clear, as some of use who are sticklers for clarity, if not a down right Nazi over it, especially when reading a scholarship winning post of clarity like this! :laughing:

You of course are referring to to ‘some version’ of Cubase you’re using that you find it’s hard to compose within it’s midi editor. And you find that when comparing it with Fruity Loops, which I would assume that you’ve become comfortably familiar with and used to for your ‘composing’ (or composting) skills…ahem…what ever THAT may be is anyone’s guess judging by your astounding abilities to convey & articulate.

Anyway, depending on how you compose…what…with a mouse? A midi keyboard or midi guitar controller? Drag N’ Dropping pre-made midi compositions, such as those which offer complete song arrangements within different genre’s of music - you can throw us all a bone at any time here - you simply open & use a keyboard midi editor and by whatever means, enter your midi into your track(s).

I tried Fruity Loops several years ago, and what I recall the concept of ‘blocks’ that can be copied/pasted/repeated was completely new to me at the time. When familiar with Cubase, it can be similar…‘blocks’ can still be visualized in the same way, cut/copied/pasted/moved etc to repeat, say verses, and choruses etc to ‘compose’.

If I’m way off on answering properly & correctly, I only have YOU to fully blame :exclamation:

You may now THANK me :mrgreen:

Hy!

Thanks for sharing.

I like more simple and faster, too. Just get that crap out there …

hy, the midi editor is NOT hard to compose, i dislike the FL studio midi editor, its more amateurish

Depending on which version of Cubase you have, there are actually up to four MIDI editors. There’s the piano roll which most software has. That tends to be the default. There’s also the drum editor. While it’s all just MIDI notes and you could compose drums in the piano roll, I find it a more intuitive way to lay down the beat.

When you need to tweak your composition with controllers or you just want very fine grained control over each and every entry, there’s the list editor, which I tend to think of as Geek View. You can do controllers in the other views, but this is, to me at least, a more intuitive place to add things like program change events.

Lastly, if you prefer to compose using musican notation like you would on a sheet of staff paper, you can use the score editor. If you want a run of sixteenth note triplets, you can write exactly that.

All of which assumes you’re composing by hand a note at a time. If you’re used to working in a more loop based environment, you have those options as well, depending on which plugins you use. For example, I recently piocked up EZ Drummer and also have BFD 2. Both of them have options to work with their library of grooves, which you can then either run via the plugin itself or copy the MIDI into your project and tweak it from there.

As for FL Studio, it’s one of the few DAW products out there I haven’t worked with, so I can’t really speak intelligently on the comparison. In fact, I’m not entirely convinced that I can speak intelligently to begin with, but of course that’s a separate conversation.