Midi Export Resolution

Hi Guys,

So, I want to import an Instrumental project from Cubase to Dorico and I want it exported as MIDI, but i don’t know what the preferred Export Resolution should be.

Any idea about what it actually is, to understand it better?

Thanks.

NiX

Here’s what the manual says,

Export Resolution

Allows you to set a MIDI resolution between 24 and 960 for the MIDI file. The resolution is the number of pulses, or ticks, per quarter note (PPQ) and determines the precision with which you will be able to view and edit the MIDI data. The higher the resolution, the higher the precision. Choose the resolution based on the application or sequencer to be used, because certain applications and sequencers may not be able to handle certain resolutions.

So, PPQ (sometimes referred to as PPQN) is the maximum number of subdivisions to a quarter note (crotchet).
I don’t use Dorico so I don’t know what PPQ values it set up to handle. Therefor, I would just leave that parameter at the default 480 and never think about it again.

1 Like

You can specify a MIDI resolution between 24 and 960 for the MIDI file. The resolution is the number of pulses, or ticks, per quarter note (PPQ) and determines the precision with which you will be able to view and edit the MIDI data. The higher the resolution, the higher the precision. Choose the resolution depending on the application or sequencer with which the MIDI file will be used, though, since certain applications and sequencers may not be able to handle certain resolutions.

======
I came in 2nd from 2. Oh well…
Useless fact: In the 80’s/early 90’s a high MIDI resolution was an important sales pitch. If your MIDI sequencer increased its resolution it would be considered a major feature… those times are long gone.

1 Like

Okay great thanks for the info guys! And the fun fact @Johnny_Moneto ! :pray:t2::musical_note: