MIDI Feedback Loop when using External Synth, MIDI Thru

Hi,

Recently started using a few external synthesizers in Cubase 6. I am running through a MOTU Lite MIDI unit (which plugs in with USB).

The issue: I have the synths set up as External Instruments. I have a MIDI track set up: IN from port 1 on the MOTU, OUT to port 1 on the MOTU/the external instrument. While tracking, everything doubles up-- while I’m playing, it records the MIDI information all good, but then at the same time it sends back out the same information to the synth again, so I am hearing notes twice on top of each other. Playback is all good. I especially noticed this as my voice only has 6 voices. But in this instance… 3 notes = 6 voices

I would disable MIDI Thru in the preferences, but then it seems I am not able to hear VSTi’s during tracking… though once again, playback is all good on everything even when trying that. If there is a way to disable MIDI thru and still be able to hear VSTi’s while tracking, that would seem to be perfect.

I swear I had this working for a second yesterday, and now all of a sudden, it isn’t again-- maybe someone else will give me some ideas of what to try. Is there a way to filter MIDI on a channel/track ONLY for MIDI output back to synth during tracking? When I use the Input transformer, it completely filters the MIDI so that recording MIDI on the track does not work… though I swear using that was how I ended up making it work for a second in the first place.

Please let me know if you need any more info/can help. Thanks.

(Posted this in the Cubase 6 forum as well because that’s still what I use mostly, but also have Cubase 8. From what I saw in settings in each they were the same but maybe something can apply here too.)

Hi, you have to set “local off” on your external Keyboard.

Regards, Ernst

Ernst,

Thanks-- your post helped me fix the problem. I had tried Local Off on the keyboard before, and notes themselves were working, parameters were not (filters, resonance, etc.). I found a “Parameter Transmit” option on the keyboard was defaulted to OFF. I set that to ON, with Local Off also enabled, and everything works great now. Thanks again.

Hey you, i am glad I could help - at least somehow.

All the best, Ernst