Midi file including specified GM track issue

Please help,

I don’t really know where to ask this question but it is really putting a halt on my progress with Cubase. Huge thanks in advance.

Some back ground: I am trialing cubase elements at the moment, and when I get a bit of money together (after Christmas) I intend to buy it as I tried other programs and really like this (also my friends uses it so it is nice to get help from them from time to time in the future).

I have found another person describing this issue in a youtube comment. I’ll quote that below then I will tell you how I fixed the issue once and can’t manage to fix it again.

“I use cubase and get my Midi sounds via [Halion Sonic SE]. I can change the instrument sound on any midi track playing by reselecting … but when I restart the track the instrument reverts back to the original. How do I change the instrument in Cubase so that it saves the change?”

So one time on the phone to my friend we talked it through and I could see small durations of ‘blank’ data at the start of each midi track. I deleted them and the issue was gone. So I inferred that the ‘blank’ or silent data were midi signals to set the instrument (in this case to the general midi sound from Finale that I use).

Issue fixed. so I thought. At least is was fixed for that day, for that project.

Since then, I have started new fresh projects (using the empty template. Then I import my midi track (five tracks in total load in). But I can’t find the right bits of track to delete. The midi information signalling the general midi instrument must be a part of the tracks. I opened the piano roll and couldn’t see anything either.

I’m trying to explain myself clearly and I hope you understand my problem. Thanks for any help in advance. I am really looking forward to getting a workflow going and creating (or turning my compositions into) real music.

Matt

Aloha c,

Sounds to me like a ‘MIDI Program Change’ issue.

Don’t know that specific version of Cubase but if there is a
‘List Editor’, you can use that feature to find/replace/move/delete/insert etc
all sorts of MIDI messages including ‘MIDI Program Change’.

tip:
These messages are usually at the beginning of the
MIDI track but can be placed at any location.

So use the List Editor to find and modify/change them
thru-out the entire track.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

Thank you for the response. Your suggestion sounds about right but I can’t find a list editor.

Like I said I don’t know that version of Cubase
(perhaps someone who knows will chime in)
but for me it is under:
Menu—>
Open Key Editor
Open Score Editor
Open Drum Editor
Open List Editor

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

I solved it. That or it’s a work around.

From a new project, I imported the midi file, which by default created the five midi tracks (plus one black midi info track).

I then added my own instrument tracks. Selecting Halion Sonic SE. Then I drag my tracks on the instrument tracks, and assign them the correct instrument.

The only thing that now is an issue is the tempo is at default. I can change that easily, but I don’t yet know how to change it through the song (which this song does once). I am pretty sure I can search the answer to that.

Thanks folks.