MIDI filter question

Is there a method, perhaps with the Logical Editor, to transpose any incoming MIDI notes up/down to one octave (example: any octave of a C major scale on the keyboard would sound in the C3-B3 range)?
In this example I would like C anywhere on the keyboard to trigger C3 in Cubase.

Hi,

Yes, it is possible. It depends, if you want to write the transposed MIDI Note to the MIDI Part, use the MIDI Input Transformer. If you want to keep the original MIDI Note and transpose it only for the playback, use the MIDI Insert > Transformer. The formula is the same for both:

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Note )

Action Target
Value  1 | Add | 12

Function
Transform

This is, if you want to transpose every single incoming MIDI Note 1 octave up. If you want to apply it to one specific MIDI Note, then use this (and I will transpose 1 octave down):

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Note | And
Value 1 (Pitch) | Equal | C3 )

Action Target
Value  1 | Add | -12

Function
Transform

To set it up to any C note is transposed to C3, you would need 12 Input Transpose modules (there are only 4 available) or 12 Transpose MIDI Inserts (there are only 4 available). Or you could prepare 12 Logical Editor presets and trigger them by a Macro. This would mean, you would record the original source data and you would change them as post-process.

The formula would look like this:

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Note | And
Value 1 (Pitch) | Note is equal to | C )

Action Target
Value 1 | Set to fixed value | 60

Function
Transform

Hi VV1.
There is another way - it doesn’t work with “live transposing” but could be a very effective and easy solution for you: play all the notes just as usual, after recording open key editor, select all the notes, open transpose tab (in inspector) an go down at the bottom of the tab and set the range between C3&B3, klick transpose and all your notes are moved to the selected range.
Maybe that works for you!

Hi,

This is great idea! And it leads me to another one… Sorry, I’m not with Cubase right now, so I’m not 100% sure, but… What about to use Midi Modifiers (these work the same way as MIDI Inserts) and restrict the range there? Would this work? In this case, you would record the original data, which would be changing online while playback.

1 Like