MIDI ghost hits, or mysterious extra hits

I’ve recorded some midi drums using my UR44 and connecting the midi from the Roland td11 to the ur44. I’m seeing and hearing some extra hits (typically a closed hi hat) that are visible in the track recording but NOT in the midi note editor.

They show up here n there and quite random…

Anyone seen these before or offer any help in removing these?

I’m gonna take a wild guess at CC4.

Thanks for that… I’m a MIDI newbie for the most part so I’m not sure what this means :slight_smile:

CC4 is midi control data…generated by your hihat pedal to select whether open or closed…but of course the receiving drum kit needs to be programmed to recognise it.

To confirm if this is the case open the midi list editor and see if any cc4 is in the list.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, there’s a controller called CC4 and as you say it is foot controller with hihat data… and I can clean up the bad data here, thanks for that!

so in my case I’ve connected my Roland TD-15 brain to my UR44 via the midi cable. I’m using BFD to generate the drum sounds. I’ve mapped the Roland brain to the BFD software so it knows (or should know) what’s connected and where…

so are you saying that somewhere within BFD I need to tell it that CC4 is hihat foot controller? (but it seems to have hihat data already, but maybe that’s just the pad?)

so are you saying that somewhere within BFD I need to tell it that CC4 is hihat foot controller?

BFD will be programmed already to use cc4 as pedal.

but it seems to have hihat data already, but maybe that’s just the pad?)

Not sure what you mean by this…the hats/pad will output midi notes and the pedal outputs the cc4 controller data.

I have an allergy to hi hats but seemingly you need to adjust the pedal setting so you get the full range from the pedal.

Ok, great, this now makes sense. Thanks a million for everyone’s replies!