MIDI-import: all piano notes appear in treble clef

The title says it all. I imported a MIDI file from Logic, and all the notes appear in the treble clef in Dorico after the import.
Is there a way to automatically avoid this when importing?
What’s the easiest way to split the notes after import, so that eg. all notes below middle C appears in the bass clef?
Thanks in advance.

The forthcoming update will include an option to specify a fixed split point when opening a MIDI file. In the meantime, I guess the best way to sort this out for now could be with marquee selection, then cutting to the clipboard, then pasting to the staff below.

Thanks. Is it possible to select, say notes lower than C3 for the whole flow in one operation, either with the Marquee tool or some other method?
A key command for “Select all following notes” and “Paste at original position” would also be very useful when doing this manually. I did try the marquee method now, btw, and soon bumped into a situation where I after having been rubberbanding a selection of notes in the lower pitch range, also found that a few notes above that range was selected. Is there a way to avoid this?

Also - will there be a way to split imported piano files after it has been imported? In a way it would be easier to perform that split after one has had a look at the imported music.

There is at present no way to select notes directly by pitch (were there one, I would have suggested it to you rather than suggesting that you use a marquee selection). As things stand, you will not be able to change the split point after importing the MIDI file except by importing it again and making a different choice.

What about splitting the tracks in logic with treble on midi channel 1 and base on midi channel 2? Then export as two midi tracks. (I tend to keep bass and treble on separate midi tracks separate in the DAW for Grand staff instruments like piano.)

That’s of course an option. Btw (you may know this already) you don’t really need to have two separate tracks in Logic for bass/treble (piano) tracks, because you can set the each clef to show a your desired MICI channel(s). That’s what I often do, which is why it would be great if Dorico would give me an option, upon import, to assign notes belonging to a certain MIDI channel to a voice.

There’s also a simple command in Logic called Assign MIDI Channels based on Score Split, which also would be more useful if Dorico could deal with this properly. It’s too bad that Logic relies on MIDI Channels for voice assignment in polyphonic situations, but in this case, it’s quite useful, since MIDI channel number is part of the MIDI protocol which has been around for 30-40 years. So it would brilliant of Dorico could deal with this, and of course also brilliant if something similar to Logic’s voice separation tool. In spite of my frustration with the lack of score (and related) development in Logic, it has some goodies which I don’t believe Dorico yet can compete with.

Here’s a link to how the voice separation tool (just remove it if it isn’t wanted here; I’m not encouraging people to use Logic for scoring/pro scoring due to the lack of development for several years). This solution must represent the best possible way to manually control voices in a music app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouH5DcP3v0

But again - the result ends up with MIDI channels defining which voice each note shall belong to. That’s why some smartness re. import of such projects into Dorico would be really great

You could always import the separate MIDI channels of a grand staff into Dorico on separate staves and then copy paste into a single grand staff. I would think the ability to split a piano track at a given split point would be easier in a DAW than in a notation program.

Correct. For me it’s more about my “process” (which has been likened to organizing a riot or multiple cats fighting for a fish-head :stuck_out_tongue: )… I tend to have my melodies, basic harmony, base-lines, counter-melodies all on separate tracks as I shape what I’m doing. My piano lines/reductions tend to get cleaned up near the end. I haven’t worked in Logic for a few years now. I do most of my composition work in Cubase and the-scoring-program-that-shall-not-be-named-here, so I’m probably out of date with the best way to do things anymore. I’m trying to move everything to a Dorico-Cubase workflow, but it’s a struggle at times.

Sure - that’s the way it is now. But does it have to be that way? I don’t think so. Since Dorico will get a function where one can split a (piano) MIDI file in bass/treble clef at a user defined split point, it should be able to do that without importing a MIDI file as well. And functions like “Select Highest Notes”, “Select Lowest Notes”, a way to assign voices based on MIDI channels etc; stuff we have in DAWs to a large extent because they such functions are score related should definitely be available in a dedicated score editor as well - if only for being able to deal with imported files better. It should be easier, whenever possible, to work worth notation in a dedicated score editor than in a DAW with an added score window. Dorico isn’t there quite yet, but I’m sure/hope it’s heading in that direction.

ETA: Having said that, I appreciate the goodies in 1.1. It has become easy to get rid if rests, it’s possible to select notes inside a chord in a much better way than before (better than just select the topmost or lowermost notes) and more.