Midi import from Cubase shows 16th notes as 8th notes

Having a hard time figuring out why importing midi from Cubase 11 into Dorico 4 is showing 16th notes as 8th notes.

This is what 16th notes look like when importing midi from Cubase Pro 11 to Dorico 4. When I play it back it plays as 16th notes, not 8th notes, and sounds just fine.

This is what Cubase looks like prior to import:

The score editor in Cubase is also showing 16th notes. Anyone know what’s going on here?

UPDATE: importing the same file into MuseScore3 works just fine, so it doesn’t appear to be an issue with the file generated by Cubase.

Check the quantisation of your import.

1 Like

Yeah, I set it to 1/16 notes (from 1/8 notes) and that did the trick. Strange though that you have to tell it that considering it’s already part of the midi file.

Thanks Janus!

MIDI files don’t specify a quantization value: they just specify a stream of note on and note off messages at specific tick positions. If you tell the importing software to quantize those notes to eighths, you’ll get the result you posted in your original message. If you know that the file contains notes you expect to see as 16ths, you need to tell the software that.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how MuseScore3 did this without me having to set anything but then I checked again and it seems their default setting in preferences for Midi Import “shortest note” is 1/16th. Makes sense now, thanks again!