MIDI Import is completely off

I’m attaching a both a midi file I exported from Cubase and the project that results from importing into Dorico. I used very simple rhythms in my Cubase project (with exception of the piano), but for some reason when importing the MIDI it results in this monstrosity. I’m pretty sure this isn’t supposed to happen. I am NOT cleaning this up manually. I thought Dorico 4’s MIDI import was advanced enough.
Thoughts? I need to finish this score ASAP.
midi.dorico (1.6 MB)
midi.mid (5.3 KB)

Did you take the time to quantize your Cubase file before exporting? The Cubase Score editor looks similar to what I see in Dorico before I requantize the parts in the Edit menu, but only you would know what the quantization resolution for each part and section should be.

Dorico is a powerful tool, but it cannot read our minds.

1 Like

Hi,
I have my Cubase project open and I’m using very simple rhythms. Mostly eight notes. No 16ths notes. There is no reason for there to be 16th note rhythms on the flute and the piano, or that off triplet mark in bar 3 on the piano, not to mention the monstrosity in bars 13 and 14. Measure 16 onward looks alright, but the rest is just so completely wrong and I don’t know why.

When one plays notes into Cubase, it is almost impossible to be as precise as the computer is. Cubase allows one to quantize note on input (to eighths, if that is your plan).

You should be able to requantize to eighths either before exporting the MIDI or do so after importing into Dorico; but generally speaking, a DAW (Cubase) has better quantizing tools than a notation program. Getting rid of the tuplets was the hardest challenge facing me when I tried it in Dorico, in spite of telling Dorico not to use tuplets. Cubase may have some better options there, and looking at the notes in Cubase’s Score panel should show you how successful you are.

I found that setting the quantization settings to 8ths (quavers) and switching off Detect tuplets gives me a pretty legible result.

quantized.dorico (1.0 MB)

Hi Daniel, where is this option? When Importing the midi I only see a window with the instruments it’s detecting.

If you look at the bottom of the MIDI Import Options dialog, there’s an expandable Import Options header: disclose this section, then click the Quantize Options button at the bottom of the left-hand side of the section.