MIDI in playback templates

I need some help creating a playback template. I’m trying to largely duplicate the default HSSE Pro playback template, but with the Olympus singers replaced by the General MIDI clarinet. This doesn’t appear to be how the Edit Playback Template dialog works; it doesn’t allow me to select General Midi in the Automatic list, and clicking Manual does nothing at all. How do I assign the MIDI clarinet to the Singers family in a playback template?

You must first create an endpoint that behaves as you want. Clearly : create a file with your four sections (sopranos, altos, tenors, basses), each with GM clarinets. Save those endpoints. They will be what you want your playback template. Hope it helps!

Thanks, this is helpful. I am working with it right now and plowing through all the documentation regarding endpoints and the configurations and setup dialog boxes, and I think I will get it.

I think part of my problem is that Dorico’s Play mode is such a DAW-based “thing,” for lack of a better term. I don’t speak DAW, I speak notation (and I realize many people speak DAW and not notation, and likewise many people speak both fluently). I’m sure the team is correct that the DAW-based approach is the best, but it assumes an understanding of various terms and concepts that I don’t have since I don’t speak DAW. And it’s difficult for me to gain that knowledge since it’s circular, and trying to learn about some of it assumes your knowledge of the rest of it (kind of like trying to learn key signatures, keys, and scales, all of which relate to each other and all of which assume your understanding of the others). Something that would be helpful to me is a painfully slow, clear walk-through of all the concepts in Play mode, defining absolutely everything and omitting nothing—a complete idiot-proof absolute beginner’s guide for dummies. Something that defines VST, endpoint, endpoint configuration, plugin, plugin instance, template, expression map, track, CC, audio output, etc., and explains how they all relate to each other.

To get back to what started this, all I want is for the vocal sounds to sound the GM Clarinet as my Dorico default. This is obviously dead simple as described above, but you have to understand all the concepts first in order to make it a reality.

2 Likes

I’m sure John Baron has walked through these concepts in one or more of his Discover Dorico videos.