MIDI input not working in D4?

This is probably some setting that I haven’t found, but I can not for the life of me enter notes since upgrading to D4 using my MIDI keyboard. When I click on the staff, I can hear the instruments when playing the keyboard but when I invoke the caret, it doesn’t enter notes…

Thoughts?

P

Fine for me on three computers, mac and PC. Are you sure you didn’t hit the ‘K’ key, which is pitch before duration? There’s also a Play settings for that you might have set.

Nope, doesn’t matter which I have selected, re the pitch before duration setting…

The weird thing is that it’s playing the sounds when I click on each of the staves, so the MIDI input is obviously working, just not entering notes…

P

Just out of interest, when I hit record, it doesn’t record anything either…

P

…and with the same settings, works fine in 3.5.

P

Ok, I had a thought… I may have had D4 open at the same time as 3.5 in my initial excitement. Would that maybe have screwed something up? And if so, how would I fix/reset D4?

Cheers,

P

Yeah, you can’t have both open at once. Just close both, and relaunch.

Oh, they’re not open together now, but the midi input still doesn’t work in D4…

Thanks for the suggestion though Dan.

P

Hi @Toaster1974 , and you have ticked the Enable MIDI input option in the Play tab of the Dorico preferences dialog?

In addition to MIDI input being enabled, is your MIDI input device listed and is it activated (i.e. does the checkbox next to its name have a checkmark in it)?

I don’t think it’s something that can be fixed at the App level. I believe it’s a ‘Windows device driver thing’.

On Windows there are some MIDI devices that ship with exclusive mode drivers, or simply fall back to a really old MIDI>USB driver from way back in the XP days. So, the first MIDI app that runs on the system grabs it and works. Subsequent apps are not able to connect to the driver.

Check for custom or updated drivers for your device if possible. Sadly, there are some controllers that never have, and never will get a modern driver (I have two controllers by AKAI that still use those old Microsoft reference drivers). If you have such a controller, the first app launched that grabs the device wins.

If you need to run multiple MIDI Apps at the same time there is a work around.

1. Install a virtual MIDI port such as loopMIDI. There are several out there to choose from but I’ve grown fond of this one since you can add or remove new ports at any time from the system tray, and name them anything you like.

2. Use something like Bome Translator, or Bidule. Launch one of these first, and connect it to your MIDI controller.

Alternatively, if you’ll be launching a DAW like Cubase, start this BEFORE you start Dorico. Then, you could set up a pass-through track (Empty MIDI Track with your device as INPUT, the virtual port as OUTPUT, and channel set to ANY, and the MONITOR button toggled active) to the Virtual MIDI port and arm it for monitoring any-time you need to send MIDI Controller data to other apps.

If you use a pass-through track in Cubase, be careful not to create an endless MIDI loop. Refrain from setting any of your MIDI/Instrument track inputs to ‘All Devices’, or go into Studio Setup and disable/mute ‘input’ from the Virtual Port that you’ll be using for this purpose.

1. Set the output of Bome/Bidule/DAW-Routing to your Virtual port.

The virtual ports have no problem with multiple apps communicating with them.

Dorico will set up all the ports it can. The stuff using exclusive mode drivers will be bound to the first app that grabbed them, but the virtual port(s) will get recognized; thus, granting you a way to route that device into Dorico via the virtual port.

1 Like

Doh!

Don’t remember having to turn ‘Enable MIDI Input’ on in the past, but it was off. Thanks @Ulf

Thanks also @dspreadbury , I’d noticed the list of MIDI ports and the one I wanted was already checked. I hadn’t lookeed further down the list to find the switch that Ulf mentioned…

And finally, thanks @Brian_Roland for your lengthy help, I don’t use the USB Midi ports if I can help it for the very reason that most of my controllers that have USB Midi use the Windows driver that isn’t multi-client, I’m using the old-school 5 pin DIN MIDI…

Anyhow, it’s working now, so thanks, as always to all for your help.

P

1 Like