Midi Insert Fail to open/ 'A serious problem...' dialog

These may be two unrelated issues, but they seem to have started happening at the same time.

1. I’m unable to up the MIDI Inserts. It was working until recently, then it stopped. I’ve installed V13 to see if it fixed the problem. I’ve uninstalled V12 and reinstalled V13. I’ve reinstalled V12. Still no progress. I created a blank project and added a Piano track. Nope. I added a midi track and connected it to the instrument track. Still no luck. Keep in mind that I have rebooted the machine several times.

This dialogue also started popping up recently. Around the same time. Cubase is not generating a dump file, so I can look at the stack to see where the error is occurring.

I’m running on Windows 11. Below are the machine’s specs. I could sure benefit from the wisdom of the forum. I would appreciate any guidance.

Device name pkennedy
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 128 GB (128 GB usable)
Device ID 90C37BAF-3A86-450F-9BFD-5EF8C0659AE2
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA860
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Hi,

Attach the mentioned DMP file, please.

Cubase 13.0.10 64bit2023.11.24 18.34.47.397.dmp (2.6 MB)

Is this the correct file.

Hi,

Does it mean, you cannot even open the MIDI Inserts tab in the Inspector? Is it the same in the MixConsole window? Can you insert the MIDI Insert in the Channel Settings window?

Could you try to rename both Cubase 12 and Cubase 13 preferences folders and then start Cubase again?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Hi Martin,

MixConsole never worked, either. It seems as though the mouse and/or touchpad, are unable to select any of the controls in the left zone in the main window or the MixConsole. I did rename the folders as suggested. I did get some controls back in the main window. So I can add an insert to the instrument track. No change in the MixConsole. I still don’t seem to be able to open the Routing/Pre/Inserts/Sends controls in the MixConsole. When I do a “Send” from the Main window to a FX channel, the signal doesn’t seem to be getting re-routed.

You may note that whole look of the left zone of the main window is really odd. There are things missing that missing the I saw before. Expression Mapping for example.

FYI, I’ve scanned my laptop for viruses and it is clean. I also uninstalled are reinstalled both v12 and v13.

Hi,

In the MixConsole, you can add MIDI Inserts just for the MIDI Track. The Instrument Tracks are showing the Audio Return Channel, therefore you can add the “audio” plug-ins there only.

Still no luck and the Error has returned.

Nothing in this window is selectable.

I’ve been working with Cubase sence v9 and have never run into anything like this. v12 was working on the machine until a few weeks back. And the problem has been getting progressively worse. Now, it’s unworkable, and I’m at a loss.

Cubase 13.0.10 64bit2023.11.26 12.10.32.638.dmp (2.5 MB)

Hi,

Could you try to rename both Cubase versions’ preferences folders to get the factory settings, please?

That’s what I did. I renamed all Cubase-related folders. Cubase then created a new one with what I would assume to be the default setting. Still had issues. My latest attempt was to uninstall all versions of Cubase and delete any folders not removed during the uninstall process. I then installed only the v13 release. In the end, I got that error again, and I still have problems getting anything to work. I’ve been using this computer for the better part of year without problems.

Hi,

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

These are the changes I made. I have a video of a session. It’s to large to copy here. I can message you link to a shared drive if needed.

Hi,

It would be nice if you could share the session.

Hi,

Thank you for the video. I shared it with the Steinberg developers.