Midi instrument not recognised

Hi all.

In Ableton, my EWI 5000 midi instrument is recognized and plays through my Steinberg Interface. With Cubase I’ve no idea where to start!

I’ve attached a screenshot, if you need any more to help answer the enquiry please let me know.

Cheers

The EWI 5000 a midi instrument, But your screenshot shows the Audio System.

Can you verify that its midi port is routed correctly in Cubase?

Are you on Windows?

I have an Akai EWI USB wind controller here. It connects via USB cable.

The USB>MIDI drivers in a lot of Akai products use a set of bog standard windows USB drivers that go into ‘exclusive mode’. What this means is, only one app at a time can grab and use the device.

My AKAI MPK261 is the same way.

If that model of EWI plugs straight to a USB port, and you’ve run another app that grabs MIDI interfaces before running Cubase, that could be your problem.

I.E. If I first run Finale, Sibelius, Bidule, whatever…it grabs the AKAI stuff (unless I instruct them to ‘ignore it’ somehow). If I then launch Cubase, it can’t access my AKAI gear.

My workaround is that I’ve instructed all my MIDI apps to ignore these ports. I use bome or bidule into a virtual MIDI port to patch the controllers to whatever app(s) I need at the moment.

The virtual MIDI ports can be accessed by multiple apps at the same time.

So for me it’s AKAI Gear > Bidule > loopMIDI > Daw of my choice.

If you are not aware of having launched anything that can grab the AKAI ports before running Cubase, here’s a thread that has info on a method to track down what might be grabbing the device.

After another read of the OP (apologies, I should have been paying attention)…it seems to be connected via MIDI cables to your Yamaha interface. My bad…

Give this a try.

1. Make a MIDI track.

2. Connect the input of that track to the MIDI interface your EWI is plugged into. In my case I’ll pretend I have one connected to my Delta 1010 interface.

3. Tap F11 to open the instrument rack for Cubase.

4. Load an instrument into the rack. Set up a sound/program in said plugin. Pay attention to what MIDI channel it’s set to use.

5. Connect the output of your MIDI track to the instrument.

6. Click the monitor button for the MIDI track so it lights up yellow.

7. Make sure the output device/plugin and MIDI channel for the track matches your instrument. Doodle on the wind jammer. Do you hear anything?

Use the monitor/record buttons accordingly for tracks you want to use the controller with. If neither of those are active, the events from your EWI won’t do anything.

Here’s a screen shot of my setup that’d play a clarinet sound in Sonic SE. You’d substitute your Yamaha MIDI interface for where I have the M-Audio Delta 1010.

Hello Brian thank you for your response. I’ve been on holiday so apologies for delay.

I got stuck around step 4 with setting up program in plugin. It appears there’s little available in the way of outputs. Hopefully my print screens might highlight what’s going on. When I look at the set up it recognises that my UR12 interface is plugged in but I can’t see that this is available anywhere else.

Thank you for your very detailed reply.

Jack

OK, your instrument setup should work if its MIDI ports were being seen.

It would appear that the EWI5000 can generate its own sounds. It does this via audio.

Is this the mix you wish to bring into Cubase, or are you wanting to use it as a MIDI controller to trigger other sounds inside Cubase?

My understanding based on a quick glance of the manual, is that the wireless transmitter isn’t sending MIDI controller information, but rather audio information.

You have 4 options on how to connect.

1. Wireless transmitter using USB Audio to computer.
  2. Wireless transmitter using analogue cable to audio sound-card.
  3. Headphones: Doesn’t involve the computer at all.
  4. As a MIDI controller device over USB.

If you want that audio stream coming into Cubase, it might be a bit complicated over USB (option 1). It’s possible, but you will have to opt for alternative audio drivers such as ASIO4ALL to aggregate the AKAI audio in with the Yamaha/Steinberg audio. I personally do NOT recommend this option.

Instead, I would go with option 2 and use audio cables into your Steinberg Interface.

To use the audio inputs of your Steinberg interface on the Cubase Mixer:

Tap F4
This will bring up a window called “Audio Connections - Inputs”

Click the Inputs tab.
If there is already a Bus listed, make sure it is set up to use inputs from your Steinberg Audio interface. Add more buses if your Interface has more than one set of inputs. I.E. Maybe you have other microphones or instruments plugged into the Steinberg interface as well. Assign them all here.

Now you should be able see the input meters bounce when you play.

Assuming you set up outputs and can hear other things in Cubase (this is also done in the F4 “Audio Connections” window, I recommend monitoring through the ‘control room’ attached to your Stienberg outputs to an amp/speakers)…you can hear playing on your EWI if the respective channels on your Cubase mixing console have ‘listen’ enabled.

You may also create an audio track, link it to the audio inputs of your EWI, and ‘record’.

Another option you have is if you would like to use the EWI as MIDI controller to trigger different sounds hosted in Cubase. In this case, you go with option 4 in the User Manual. You skip wireless reciever, and plug a USB chord directly from the EWI controller into your PC.

Page 7 of the User Guide:
To play EWI5000 as a “wired” MIDI controller

When connected this way, you should find that the EWI is listed as a MIDI Device/port. It should be able to then trigger sounds hosted as Cubase Track or Rack instruments. In this case, you’ll most likely want to DISABLE the native EWI sounds that it can produce on its own.

Thanks for the detailed response, Brian. Going through the audio interface hasn’t worked so I’m back to going directly through the computer. I can hear a sound, with about 1 second delay in the latency. I’d wanted to go through the interface because of latency, as there doesn’t seem to be a way around the latency issue… Is it possible to play Cubase sounds with the Interface?

Of course that still leaves the issue being that I cannot get any sound via the interface. Would I need an external speaker for this rather than headphones?

Thanks a lot,

Jack

You might try with a patch cord from the headphones to your regular audio interface?

Yes, when using the EWI as a MIDI controller it sends performance data, not audio. You can trigger a plugin hosted in Cubase that way.

It’s perfectly legitimate and yes, you should be able to play sounds coming from Halion Sonic SE, in example, as @Brian_Roland has shown previously. What is worrying me, though, is the last screenshot of your previous post (post #5) : seems like there is no MIDI port valid, beside the MS Wavetable one which is of no help.

No, you should be able to get sound via the headphones connector of your interface : that’s what such a device is designed for, at least partially. The fact that it isn’t the case shows that there is also a problem, here : your Steinberg interface (which one is it ?) should have a dedicated ASIO driver, labelled as Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO. I wouldn’t try to use it with ASIO4All instead (screenshot of your last post).

Overall, it seems like both the interface and the EWI 5000 haven’t been installed correctly… :neutral_face:

The problem there is the EWI audio interface has to be aggregated in with the Steinberg one.

Two separate ‘audio devices’, and I doubt the ASIO driver with the Steinberg device will let you have one thing being for input, and something else for output.

ASIO4ALL is simply a WDM>ASIO bridge. It does the same thing pretty much any other ASIO driver/bridge does and makes an ASIO bridge to windows drivers, with the added possibility of aggregating multiple devices together. I don’t recommend aggregating ‘outputs’ if you can’t lock them all to the same clock and they have to stay perfectly in sync, but aggregating inputs is rarely a problem (I.E. The EWI, a USB Mic, etc.).

OP might also try smaller buffer sizes in the control panel. I’d say with ASIO4ALL control panel, start with 256k on the AKAI driver, and if it crackles bump it up in small intervals until it’s smooth. If it works well at 256k, might even try smaller ones.

Seems like the AKAI stuff tends to ship with absurdly high default buffer sizes. I got a free EWI USB once because of this (the original user couldn’t tolerate the latency and rather than sorting it out just asked me if I wanted it).

OK, I have thought until now that the EWI 5000 was only a more or less sophisticated MIDI controller. Seems that it is also capable of transmitting stereo audio signals. I just looked into the manual and nowhere there is a mention of an ‘audio interface’ or even the four letters of ‘ASIO’. From which, I wonder how a non-geek user is supposed to deal with this unit, beside indeed installing ASIO4All, but is he supposed to guess it and what about the use in an audio-MIDI host such as Cubase when an ASIO driver is already installed and working as expected ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I rest my case…

Correct. That model has a wireless transmitter and can generate sounds on its own (no DAW/plugins, or external synth required).

It can send an audio stream through standard windows USB audio drivers. It knows nothing about ASIO. Cubase on the other-hand ONLY works with audio devices via ASIO protocols.

ASIO4ALL can make bride to bring those standard USB audio devices into ASIO hosts like Cubase.

If you skip the transmitter and plug a USB cable directly into the Wind Jammer part…it’s just a straight up MIDI Controller? Not sure if it has a ‘local on/off’ mode for the built in sounds for not when using it that way…or, it could be that the instrument sounds are actually produced in that transmitter piece?