MIDI issue between cubase, MAX and hardware synth

Hello!

i don’t know maybe is should post this topic to max cycling 74 forums, but problem lays between all those components.

i found really nice hardware synth editor as patch made in MAX. it’s for MATRIX 1000. it works well if i open max as standalone and route it through MIDI IO (ESI M8U) hub.
problem starts when i open CUBASE. whatever is loaded up first communicates with my hardware synth. i cannot use them simultaneously, but synth has only one midi in and one out and both programs has to use same usb hub IN and output.

how could i make this work? I usually make midi track in cubase for controlling the notes which it sends to hardware from where audio comes back to cubase audio track - regural business. but it cannot happen if MAX is loaded up and is ready to tweak sound in my synth.

CUBASE 9
WINDOWS 10
ESI M8U XL midi hub
OBERHEIM MATRIX 1000
MAX CYCLING 74 - v7
editor patch for max - GitHub - coffeeshopped/matrix-editor: A patch editor for the Oberheim Matrix-1000, 6, and 6r synthesizers, written in Max.

OK… the problem was ESI M8U XL midi hub. seems that it cannot serve more than 1 host at the time.

the error message that MAX gave me for midi ports:
midi_mme: error 7

I changed ESI to MOTU MIDI EXPRESS 128 and everything works super ok now.

Nice, thanks for sharing the solution :slight_smile: